Severum has 2 white, pimple-like spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've looked around on the internet but cannot decide what my severum has. I need some help. If you could look at the picture and offer advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
The spots are just above his eye, and at the base of his fin.
The one above his eye seriously resembles a pimple. The white area at the base of his fin looks like some possible deterioration, white pimple-like mix. I was thinking it may be some kind of fungus. But the one about his eye does not look the same.

Thank you
Steve

Attachments

• sick sev.jpg
    sick sev.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 373
So I just did another search and it looks like "hole in the head."
Can we confirm this?? :-(

Hukit, this is a picture of my severum that I took a few hours ago. There are now more of them and a bigger, yellow/tannish, bump in the middle of the smaller white bumps. Do you still think it is Lymphocystis??

Those little white dots all over his body are not actually ON him. I guess they are just bubbles in the picture. The spots in question are behind his eye.

Ok, thanks, I've never dealt with Lymphocystis before..just clean water and a quality food?? I'm starting to get worried about it.

You don't have to answer that, lol, I've done my research. Thanks for the identification though Hukit. :)

I've only encountered it once in my 30 years of fishkeeping and it was just within the last few months. I started noticing the small lumps on a couple of Cryptoheros cutteri which had been in the tank for nearly a year without issue, then I added a new fish which was properly quarantined and with a few weeks noticed more and more lumps. Lymphocystis is basically a viral infection which is like our common cold both examples there is no known cure, some say different medications will work but in my research it's not proven. I've seen some nasty cases of this which actually did kill the fish, this maybe due to other health issues where the fish had their immune system lowered by something else and was simply not able to fight the infection. My personal case went away nearly as quick and it appeared, which reducing stress, feeding a quality food, and keeping pristine water conditions will give the fish the best chances to fight the infection.

Sorry just wanted to add that it's rarely ever fatal, I wouldn't be to concerned at this time.

Last edited:
Yes! He's actually doing very well. Thank you for your information!

Along with trying to maintain pristine water conditions and feeding a good quality food (NLS large fish) I also treated him with a broad spectrum antibacterial med. I did water changes everyday for about a week before I started the treatment. After the treatment he started getting substantially better everyday. Today he has clean water again, and spotless! Thanks again.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom