Severum ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: I ordered the Eheim heater, and it should be here tomorrow or the next day. I gave my severum a salt bath the evening before yesterday, and her ich spots have started to go away! I'm going to give her another salt bath tonight or tomorrow. One of my tiger barbs may have a few spots, so I'm probably going to give him a salt bath as well.
Thank you all for your help and advice!!
-fishdude25

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish dude...keep in mind that ich actually lives in your water. Treating your new fish might rid him of the ich cysts, however you may have to treat your entire tank. If your tank is well established, your other fish might not get sick. I have a 90 gallon community that had an ick outbreak when I first stocked it. I used a fully cycled eheim filter that was on my 29 gallon tank with a pair of angelfish in it and moved them over to the new tank. The majority of the new fish showed symptoms. The angelfish pair and the larger tetras never got a spot. Watch them closely!
As far as the heaters go, I really like the eheims. I have a single 300 watt keeping my 90 at a steady 77.7 degrees. The thing I don't like about it is it is so LONG! If I were to get them again, I would go with two 200 watt heaters. Right now I am contemplating on switching to a Hydor 300 watt inline heater. Not sure if I want the inline heater or the inline uv sterilizer.

Yup, I've been watching the other fish pretty closely, and so far only my rainbow shark and one tiger barb is showing signs of ich. I've had this tank for over 3 years, and I really hope I can treat this without any casualties. When my new heater comes (hopefully tomorrow), I'll start increasing the heat to kill the ich.

Back
Top Bottom