Should I get more cardinal tetras???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sernalex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon fish tank I have 2 guppies 2 gourami and had 4 cardinal tetras 3 of the tetras died I had my 1 tetra for around 3 weeks already he seems happy but they tell me he is a school fish and I should get more!!!! Should I get more or am I ok like that???

having 4 is better than 1. I think with 4 cardinal tetras, 2 guppies, and 2 gourami, you'd be good. You probably could squeeze a couple more tetras in there.

Check your water quality and make sure there is plants for them, they like to chill in groups around plants. Also tetras are notoriously weak, so if your getting them from petsmart, you may just be having bad luck.

So, what kind of gourami do you have? How long has your tank been set up?
Personally, I don't think cards are a good choice for a 10g because of the adult size. Since you have one, I would get him some neons instead. They look similar enough that people usually say the 2 species school together, but neons stay smaller and are better suited for a 10g tank IMO. But, getting more of anything depends a bit of what kind of gouramis you have to make sure you don't overload the tank. :)
Do you have a test kit to measure your water parameters? How did you cycle the tank? Just asking because I am curious why your other tetras died.

I have a neon blue dwarf and a red dwarf I have had my tank for about 2 months and I didnt cycle my tank my wife got it for my birthday =/ I

Okey dokey. Can you return the cardinal or do you need to keep it? If you can rehome a couple fish, I suggest choosing between the guppies or the neons/1 cardinal to go in there. I should have asked you what sort of gouramis before suggesting the neons. In my head, I was think about sparkling gouramis for some reason. Sorry.
You may already know, but I am just giving you a heads up for just in case, the 2 dg may not get along forever in there. They can be rather territorial. Just keep an eye on it.
Good luck with the new tank. I do suggest you get a test kit for your water params. You are looking at a pretty heavily stocked tank so you will have to be very dutiful on your pwc to keep all the fish happy. :)

Back
Top Bottom