Should I kill my favorite Neon Tetra? :'(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veoris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He was the coolest because he had half his face bitten off in the tank in the shop. He was in the first batch of neon tetras I got and he's always been a survivor. He had already been through one ich infestion and treatment. I've always made sure he eats, since he only has one eye, he had a hard time sometimes. I named him "Hope" because of the FFXIII character, and because, well, he survives.

But today he started floating up toward the surface. I was worried at first, but as the day progressed he seemed to fall into my suspicions. Now he's just up there, twirling around in the corner. Spinning.

I can't tell if his one eye is bloated or not.

I'm not sure if I should kill him or not. Is he suffering? Should I euthanize him? Or is he fighting to live? Will he be ok if I just leave him alone?

I really want him to live.

Currently my tank is going through treatment for ich. Just the same as last time. Hopefully this will be the last. All my Neons are doing fine, as is my cardinal. The temperature is 86º, Ive been doing frequent water changes, but stopped putting in salt. Today I put in the salt I took out, just in case it helps him breathe more easily. I'm not sure if it was for nothing.. I put in an airstone a while ago, he's still the same.

He seems to have some white spots, but they are a few, he didn't have them before. HIs eye is bloated but I'm not sure. He also seems bigger than before, for some reason. Not bloated, just bigger.

I put him in a cup, but he avoided me, got startled when I put it down. This is hard. I put him back in the tank for now...

Am I doing the right thing? What is the right thing? Will he survive? Will he die? Will my not killing him now just make him suffer more in the end?

Do you have a spare tank to qt him in? He might not be taking the treatment as we'll this time.

His tail also seems to be split in the middle. Unlike the other ones. I assume this is bad. Is the ich consuming him/her? Is this what happens?

I may be wrong but as far as I know it doesn't consume the fish it just burrows in the skin. It's possible that the fish has a fungus or another type of disease. Can you get a picture of it?

Is he eating? If he has stopped eating, then you know it is time to euthanize. Most wild creatures stop eating if they are near death.

But euthanasia should always be the last resort. If you have options, try them.

And if you have to euthanize, I recommend clove oil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I use a clove oil vodka mix. It'll be quite something if he pulls through - I hope he does :)

You may want to end it for him, but if it's clear that he isn't going to make it do NOT euthanize him. Which would be more frightening: Slowly creeping towards death in your home where you've been for a very long time, or being removed and having poison being dumped into your survival area?

I have to disagree with Istrom. I am a huge animal lover and a member of PETA, so I would never suggest anything cruel.

I had an oranda goldfish that would not recover from swim bladder disorder. I hand fed him for a month and tried everything. But finally he stop eating. Rather than let him slowly starve to death, I euthanized him with clove oil. I added it very slowly so he did not panic. Instead he peacefully fell aleep. When he stopped breathing, I put him in ice water to ensure he was gone.

I hated doing it. I cried the whole time and still cry when I think of it. But I made the best decision I could at that time.

Euthanasia is not cruelty when done for the best interest of the animal.

In all honesty it isn't your choice if a fish is to die, just like it isn't the doctor's choice to pull the plug on you if you have a severe disorder. Of course, I tend to be a more "natural" aquarist. I like things (fish eggs hatching, fry growing, etc) to happen in a natural manner to preserve the quality of fish life. It's also neither of our choices, it's Veoris's decision.

Also the method's of euthanasia being suggested here would be extremely painful to the fish. I had to put my dog down a couple years ago, and it was in a medicated manner. This is a home remedy that is just :nono: for fish.

Istrom, Aquariums for all we like to believe are a far cry from "natural." Fish don't naturally get fed pellets and flakes. They don't naturally live in glass containers with members of other species. They don't naturally have water filtered through carbon, etc.

I am not trying to talk anyone into euthanizing or not. But as I have experienced and made the choice for my own very beloved fish, I can speak to my experience. I have had to put several dogs and cats down over my lifetime, the last one was a 17 year old cat with fluid around her heart. She went peacefully and in a similar manner to my goldfish.

Have you ever seen a fish euthanized properly using clove oil? If you haven't, then it is unfair for you to make assumptions and make a difficult situation worse. I am not saying you should have to euthanize your fish, but you shouldn't try to make other people feel guilty or bad because of their decisions to do so.

Yeah he wasn't eating. I ended up euthanizing him that night. He struggled ALL day. I made sure he was able to see the food but even as it passed by the side of his face he wouldn't eat it.

I just felt really bad for him toward the end. I had to do it. It felt so bad, ending the life of a living being with such a strong will to live..

I used the clove oil and vodka method. 2 drops (not sure if I should have used more?) of clove oil in a container with tank water, mix vigorously, pour that into the plastic cup where he was. Waited a while and when he was at the bottom with just his gills moving I poured in the Vodka. He sort of jumped for a bit and then died. I'm not sure that's normal. Seemed like a reflex.

And I don't have any spare tanks, but I really should get one. I thought of taking out one of my bettas and temporarily putting him in a bowl to use it as a quarantine tank, but that would risk infecting it with ick.. so yeah..

I'll post a video of the little guy later on, if you guys want to check him out. Back when he was healthy. It was really cool how his iridescent line started from this little "nub" inside his face.

I always wondered if he felt pain in that half of his face, but I figured it "cauterized" or something. I at least feel good I saved him from the torment of living in that tank in the fish store with angel fish being a constant terror. :(

Istrom, Aquariums for all we like to believe are a far cry from "natural." Fish don't naturally get fed pellets and flakes. They don't naturally live in glass containers with members of other species. They don't naturally have water filtered through carbon, etc.

I am not trying to talk anyone into euthanizing or not. But as I have experienced and made the choice for my own very beloved fish, I can speak to my experience. I have had to put several dogs and cats down over my lifetime, the last one was a 17 year old cat with fluid around her heart. She went peacefully and in a similar manner to my goldfish.

Have you ever seen a fish euthanized properly using clove oil? If you haven't, then it is unfair for you to make assumptions and make a difficult situation worse. I am not saying you should have to euthanize your fish, but you shouldn't try to make other people feel guilty or bad because of their decisions to do so.

I do wonder if I did it correctly.. Was the "reflex" normal? :/ Oh, little Hope..

Veoris, I'm sorry the little guy didn't make it. It sounds like he had a good life with you and was much better off then at the lfs. Take comfort in that, and that you did the best thing for him in the end.

The jumping was a reflex. You made a tough decision, but you did what you felt was best and that makes it the right one. Death was inevitable and you ensured that you made it as easy for him as you could. Don't second guess yourself.

My heart goes out to you. To many they are fish, but to us they are beloved pets.

Back
Top Bottom