Shrimp after medicating fish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tellurye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I treated my 20gal tank with Tetra Parasite Guard for 2 treatments. That's 2 fizzy tabs day 1, 25% water change on day 3, adding 2 more tabs on day 3, and a 50% water changes on day 5 with replacement of carbon back into the tank. (Each treatment is meant for 48 hours).

The medication is not safe for cherry shrimp. I have my shrimp temporarily in a breeder box in another shrimp tank. I really want to move them into my 20gal as soon as possible.

My main question is, how long roughly does it take for carbon to remove medication? I have an AquaClear 30 running, which turns over the volume of the tank ~7.5 times an hour. Would it be safe to acclimate the shrimp into the tank today? I would like to if possible, the shrimp tank they're in currently is small and they're adding to the bioload quite a bit. It's 9 yellow cherry shrimp that I want to put into the 20gal.

Also, when should I remove the carbon that is absorbing the meds? Like a week or so? A day? A lengthy Google search didn't help so much with this whole debacle.

Just to add, the Tetra Parasite Guard worked great on removing internal parasites from a couple of my guppies that had it, if anyone was curious. It didn't affect the healthy guppies nor cories negatively. It also did not harm my plants whatsoever.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom