Shubunkin tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khoifish89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 6 shubunkin in a 55 gallon tank. I have notice that about couple month ago that 3 out of the 6 shubunkin tails are shredded or ripped. However, they are all healthy actively swimming and eating. I have two Aquaclear 55 filter (aka 110 model). What is wrong with my shubunkins?

Parameters (amm, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? How big are they? We need some more info in order to be able to help.

Your ph is way too low for goldies. 6 is the low limit for the API test and your ph may very well be much lower than 6. The acidic environment is destroying their slime coat and allowing tissue to be destroyed as well as allowing bacteria to invade. Usually, ph is not concern as long as its stable but its one of two likely factors here. The other issue would be simply aggression/nipping from all these guys being in this tank together.

Address the low ph and see if there's any improvement. If aggression is contributing to the issue, you will need to figure out how to address it. Are these guys going into your pond in the spring?

Back
Top Bottom