Siamese fighter fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karl.andrew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Siamese fighter fish,it stays at the bottom of the tank all day only coming to the top for air.it's not eating at all we have had it for 12 months.it looks like it's going a rusty colour and it's tails rotting away.can anyone help?

I couldn't help, but you posted in the wrong place. Make sure you start threads in the appropriate location. Welcome to AA though!

karl.andrew said:
I have a Siamese fighter fish,it stays at the bottom of the tank all day only coming to the top for air.it's not eating at all we have had it for 12 months.it looks like it's going a rusty colour and it's tails rotting away.can anyone help?

Sounds like u have a sick fish if is tail is rotting away and he's not eating... Is he the only fish or are there tankmates ?? They have meds for fin rot

karl.andrew said:

Rusty colour sounds like velvet to me. Shine a torch at him, if u can see gold/copper dust like particles on him then it's velvet. That can be treated with an increase of temp and aquarium salt.

Tail root is a sign of bad water parameters. What is ur ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Also what temp and ph is ur water at?

I have a Siamese fighter fish.we have had it for 12 months,and for the past 2 weeks all it does is stay at the bottom of the tank,only coming to the surface for air.it won't eat either we have tried everything.also it's tail seems to be rotting away and it's going a rusty colour.please can anyone help?

Yea flossie there are other fish in there too from harlequins to glowlights.the water is fine in fact all the readings are fine.it's only in the last 2 weeks that it's been doing this.

karl.andrew said:
I have a Siamese fighter fish.we have had it for 12 months,and for the past 2 weeks all it does is stay at the bottom of the tank,only coming to the surface for air.it won't eat either we have tried everything.also it's tail seems to be rotting away and it's going a rusty colour.please can anyone help?

Sounds like it might be velvet, since my betta might have had it (luckily not) so looked into it. Shine a flaslight on it and if it looks like it has that color kinda dusted on it, it might be the issue.

EDIT: Fin rot is common for bettas too. Here's a link that can help with info on symtoms and cures for velvet and there's a link for fin rot.

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/velvet_betta.php

Back
Top Bottom