sick albino cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crossthreaded

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up an albino cory that looked like it had been beaten up in the tank at petsmart and had most of its tail missing. It has been doing fine for almost a year and now recently it has been getting more and more pale. I came downstairs this morning and it as just laying on its side so i took a net and nudged it a bit and it swam erratically for a little and ended up on its side again.

I have it in a quarantine tank and have treated it with some anti parasite tablet things.

Is there anything I can do for it? It is my girlfriends favorite fish and I don't want to see it suffer anymore.

It looks like it has quit breathing as hard as it was before.

just found the questionairre.

reputation_pos.gif

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
sideways swimming, pale coloring, fast breathing

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
have been within range every time before, but have not tested since last water change

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
55 gal, almost a year

4~What type of filtration are you using? aquaclear 500 and 300

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
3 albino cories, 1 pleco, 5 black fin tetras, 7 rasboras

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
try to do a 25% change once a week with a python including gravel vacuuming.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
almost a year

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
no

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
sinking wafers/shrimp pellets

Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing what you can. If the parasite medicine does not seem to help try some antibiotics. Be sure to change the water often to keep it nice and clean.

Is the fish bloated at all? It may be a swim bladder issue. Another thing to try is feeding some frozen peas if he is still eating. Your last parameters in actual numbers would be helpful for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

well it might be my imagination but he looks like he has more color. its been about 6 hrs since I dosed the anti parasite.

he is still just sitting on his side or even upside down but as soon as you nudge him he swims away and then ends up on his side again.

we'll see what he does through the night...

Back
Top Bottom