Sick Angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raggatt2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks

I'm a little concerned about one of my Angels as he has a small cotton-like growth on part of his lips. This is the best picture I could get:

IMG_1479682990.853024.jpg

Some stats:

Tank is 125 litres
Filter is Fluval 206
Ammonia, nitrite zero. Nitrate a little high at 60 so did a larger than normal water change (40 litres)
Water is hard, pH 8

Other occupants:
1 other angel
3 guppies
2 platies
2 panda garras
2 bristlenose catfish
6 rummy nose tetra

Additionally, we had a dwarf gourami which died while we were on holiday last week. Unfortunately he'd disappeared by the time we returned but have manage to recover some bits of him. :-(

Thanks in advance

Are both angels male or are they a paired couple, also 2 panda garra's and a 2 BN are wayyyy to much for that tank how they aren't starved is beyond me, but back to the angel does it still eat? Do the angels fight if so this can be the result because they fight mouth to mouth, It does look like mouth fungus I don't want to alarm you over columnaris, others might be able to identify it better.

Looks like an injury to me ...
Mouth to mouth battling as mentioned above by potluck.
Angels are not always nice to each other....One will be the boss...
The gourami passing is bad news as disease is often spread when fish eat an infected fishes corpse...
I would do some extra water changes to get water a little better and keep a close eye on the angel and others...
If it is not an issue you might want to get some meds on hand just in case....

Many thanks for the quick replies, very useful. I did another large water change this morning (40L) so hopefully that will have helped. This evening the white patch looks pretty much the same as yesterday but will continue to monitor. He's eating fairly normally - perhaps a little less boisterously than usual - so also good. None of the other fish appear to be affected, but will keep an eye on them too.

If this is an injury, presumably it has gotten infected hence the white stuff? At what point would you say I should intervene and resort to antibiotics? Any advice about which type to use?

Incidentally, the two Angels do fight mouth to mouth. I'm 80% sure the pictured one is the male and the other is the female. They lay eggs every now and again but haven't been able to breed successfully fortunately!

Potluck - how many pandas/catfish would you say is right for a tank this size? I do do supplementary feeds; courgette (zucchini) and algae wafers. I also have bogwood for the catfish to graze on...

Panda garra's are food monsters 1 will clean any tank, I had a panda but he got injured and died, unless you have alot of algae they can eat or if you are feeding veggies, wafers etc etc I would say 1 panda 1BN, but I know pandas cost a lot, maybe it will be okay but to me that is a lot of algae eaters.

Read up on dips or baths.
I would use MB [Methylene Blue ] strong in dip or bath.
I think the angel will freak out [stress] :facepalm:
Anything besides massive water changes in the tank is going to be effected by your tank[wood/plants/sub] or effect them IMO?
The lip locking is not courtship , but same sex bickering IMO...
In most case with multiple angels where a pair is not formed you usually end up with ONE....Just my experience...:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom