Sick Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dianna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am a new adoptive parent of 2 rather large angel fish (about 5-6 inches in diameter. My husband recently changed tanks and all my fish are doing very well except Agnes one of my angels. She is floating upside down, not eating, has lost the color orange in her eyes. She was able to swim upright then slowly she would end up upside down. This is for the past 36 hours. Now this evening I tried to feed her some bloodworms, which she tried but she also spit them out. At this time she is just lying on the bottom of the tank. Somebody please help me, we are scared we are going to lose her! Also Pete her companion is not eating either. He seems fine except for appetite

I apologize, I know the size of the tank, it is a 50gal. New tank set up. the water has been in it a week prior to adding the fish. The different levels are. PH 7.6, ph-hr 8., ammonia -6. -8.0, nitrate 0.ppm, and hardness 7+ to hard. We are still working on the levels.

I apologize, I know the size of the tank, it is a 50gal. New tank set up. the water has been in it a week prior to adding the fish. The different levels are. PH 7.6, ph-hr 8., ammonia -6. -8.0, nitrate 0.ppm, and hardness 7+ to hard. We are still working on the levels.

Whoah - those ammonia levels are extreme!?!? is the tank cycled? Have any fish dissapeard lately? How much food is left rotting at the bottom? All those things could be causing the ammonia - meaning they would lose appetite. When this cycles it will likely have loads of nitrite which hurts breathing. you'll have to get an air stone in there, and it would help if you find a bio wheel. Hurry - you may not have much time left!

I do have a bio wheel on there and also an air stone.... what can I do???

Agreed. The ammonia is what is hurting your fish right now. You need to do some drastic water changes daily to get those levels down asap! Ammonia burns the gills of the fish, which is probably why they are having trouble breathing and moving in general.

Do a big water change today, about 50%. This should help alot. Then, smaller water changes are going to be needed every day to get those levels down and let the nitrogen cycle complete.

Good luck.

This is a new tank can anyone tell me why I can't seem to get the ammonia level down?? Should I be using products like Ammo-lock? My angel fish Agnes is still hanging in there (I can't believe it) I just wish I could help her quicker. Her companion still won't eat either. He showed a little interest last night. I got blood worms and brine shrimp for them but they aren't interested. Any suggestions?? I'm distraught!!!

I think the reason why you're having trouble is because it's a new tank. It is cycling. Angels arent the hardiest fish to have cycling in there.

If you need more info on cycling, type in "The Nitrogen Cycle" in a search engine or check the articles on AA. It can seem quite complicated at first but after some reading it should click.

If you can, bring your fish to a tank that is already cycled.
Helpful friend or LFS?
Anything you can b/c the way it looks is that they will not survive.

-Dan

Thanks to everyone who shared info with us, my Angel Agnes did not make it.

Back
Top Bottom