Sick angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got two larger angelfish a week ago.
One of them doesn't really eat. She goes up to the top looking for food. When I feed she will take a bite and make motions like chocking and moves her mouth a lot. Then she starts to shake a bit. Then she is hesitant to try and get more.

This has been going on for shut. I have tried flames and frozen beef heart.

Haven't really noticed white string poop the poop on the bottom of the tank are red or a grayish color.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently had a similar situation and feeding action with an Angelfish and it turned out that she had intestinal worms. Unless you see the fish actually swallowing food in the next day or so, you may want to isolate the fish in a hospital tank and treat for internal parasites with API's General Cure. Keep the bottom bare with just an airstone ( no filter) so that you can see the feces to know if anything does come out of the fish.

Hope this helps

Thank you.

Should I treat both the Angels? I got them from the same place. I actually just isolated both Angels since they were being aggressive to some new fish.

If not is it an issue to isolate one if they are a pair.

Do I need to do anything to the other fish in the main tank.

Thank you.

Should I treat both the Angels? I got them from the same place. I actually just isolated both Angels since they were being aggressive to some new fish.

If not is it an issue to isolate one if they are a pair.

Do I need to do anything to the other fish in the main tank.

Considering that you don;t know what the cause is, treating the one fish separately would be best until you know what the cause was. If it is worms, then I would also treat the other Angel and possible the entire tank.

As for separating pairs, yes you can, they will re-bond once reintroduced.

Hope this helps (y)

Right now I am treating for parasites after seeing some white poop but finally got a good picture of the dorsal fin. This is a super veil angel is this dorsal fin normal looking? It looks so fragile and not strong enough to help the fish swim. For example when he goes to eat he is completely vertical and looks to struggle.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413284971.789236.jpg

Normal? No, it's not normal as "Veil" is an abnormal ( non natural) variety. It does have some bent spines ( not that bad) and the fish adapts their swimming to the motion created by the fins they have so no worries there. Some tail spines are also bent so the fish has to adapt to more than just the Dorsal fin's shape. Considering that it has grown as large as it did, it's still nothing to be concerned about for you. (y)

Back
Top Bottom