Sick Apisto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad... she didn't make it through the night.

What worries me though is why she got dropsy? The research I was able to find on the internet was that it requires a compromised immune system... often caused by stuff like bad water conditions, starvation, stress, etc.

I know my water quality is good... I have kept my parameters steady and good for several months now. Like I mentioned in my OP, I have yet to see her (and for that matter her mate) actively feed during feeding time... a month into their residency and they are still extraordinarily shy. Could starvation have caused the weakened immune system? and what could I have done differently? Are the danios to active feeders for the apistos? The Gourami doesnt seem to have trouble feeding, but the apistos do/did as they never surfaced to feed directly.

I am pretty convinced that as soon as I can, I will replace Beatrice, but I would like to be sure that I have corrected any potential reasons for her death... or do I need to look at them having their own tank?

thanks again for the help, its too bad that it didnt turn out better :(

So sorry for your loss. She may have been unhealthy from the start. Apisto's and rams can be sensitive and sometimes the best place to find them is a reputable breeder. If you want to breed them a tank of their own is best.

Thanks again for the advice. Im trying to decide whether I want to get more shipped, or if I want to find a local source... though your thoughts that she may have been sick from the start makes me want to avoid the dealer I dealt w. before... kinda stinks when something can stay dormant for a month... after the guarantee is over ;P

I definitely think that they will get their own tank sometime in the near future... probably the 20 they are in now... as soon as the icky used 55gal in my basement gets refurb'ed, resealed, etc... oooohhh here comes the MTS... eek... wow. ;P

Back
Top Bottom