Sick Apisto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

So I have a female Cockatoo Apisto that I am starting to get worried about... she has been hiding under a piece of drift since last night, and has not emerged once. She has gone pale... kinda like sleeping colors I guess. No lateral stripe, just a dot 1/3 way back on both sides. First thought was that she was prepping to brood, but this is definitely not brooding colors for her.

I havent seen her eat directly since getting her... but I have seen her occasionally pick up remnants... not sure what off the floor.

Breathing somewhat labored? Maybe?

No other symptoms that I can see. Water is normal... 0,0,20, ph7.3, temp 76-deg.

Just went to peek at her again, and come to think about it, male Api is also hiding a lot. He is currently at back of a dese area of "plants", also in his concealment colors...

This has become somewhat a stream of concious type email,:rolleyes: hopefully someone can make some sense of it.

Do I have a sick fish, do I need to figure out a way to target feed? Are the other tank members not suitable for the apistos?

yeah... follow me here? ;P

Anyone have any ideas?

How long have you had both the male and female apistos? Have you ever seen any aggression from the gourami?

Hi Zags!

I should just start talking to you directly... you're always here to my rescue :p

Both added at the same time... just shy of 1 month ago, they have had varying degrees of shyness since adding... but that seemed to be going away for the past couple of weeks.

The Gourami... haven't seen any overt aggression from him, though I have noticed on several occasions seeing him using his feelers to push the male cac away from him in a sort of "okay, I'm moving this way, and I want you to stay at arms length... got it? yeah... thats what I thought.":rolleyes:

Thanks again!

My apisto's have a tendancy to hide when they first get into a tank. The main thing is did they act differently before? If not and it has been a month, then they are eating. Breeding behaviour in apisto's can be as you describe, so it is possible it is that as well. If they have always acted this way, not just the hiding, then they may be beginning to breed. Keep an eye on them and let us know if there is no change or eggs in the next day or so.

Mine even laid eggs on the driftwood. :roll:

I'll keep my eyes out.... luckily I don't work this week so I can monitor them closely... oddly enough, the male is spending a lot of time in the pot that I put in the tank... thought that was the females job... hopefully they'll switch places as the driftwood is a favorite spot for the BN Pleco and at least 2 shrimp... any eggs would be seen as a really nice snack I would assume.

Here's to hoping we see eggs! Actually, speaking of which... in your experience w/ apis, do flower pots for caves need to be totally inverted, or are they okay w/ them laying on the side?

I've never had a pair lay inside the flower pot LOL. Mine always do it in silly areas. Driftwood, side of aquarium or the sand. I must have stubborn apisto's. They aren't interested in doing what I want them to do.

Okay... now I am worried for real. She is hanging out in the back of the tank, face buried in the corner between glass and gravel... she is also getting dark... again... not the brilliant yellow breeding colors I have seen on her before...time to get her out into a quarantine?

Moved her to quarantine... for now a 1 gal pitcher I had been using to pour water into the tank. Added a pea to see if she would eat anything. She is listing, laboured and sporatic breathing. When she does swim, she does barrel rolls. scales look like they may be pineconing a touch... picture attached below...

Are we talking dropsy here? :(

Attachments

• Beatrice 002.jpg
    Beatrice 002.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 101
None on hand, but do have a petco, petsmart, and LFS in quick driving distance.

OK for dropsy I prefer maracyn or maracyn II. A broad spectrum antibiotic is good. I also add epsom salts to the water to help ease the bloating.

It might be dropsy but hopefully not. If it is dropsy I dont think there is a cure. The cause of dropsy is either organ failure or envirmental factors; excessive sodium chloride levels, high nitrate levels, bacteria, or poor/unsuitable diet. But improving or correcting tank conditions may help.
Also dropsy usually has a swollen abdomen in the picture it doesnt seem like it. It might be constipation too. But Im not sure.

Dropsy is cureable if caught early enough. It is a bacterial infection caused by a number of factors. It is extremely difficult to treat. I have had success twice treating dropsy, I have lost 3 fish to it.

The fish doesn't seem to be too badly swollen that is true. It may be scale protrusion which is treated the same as dropsy. Fish Disease and Treatment

Well, that makes me feel much more optimistic... poor girl is suffering.

I'm going to hit the road for a supply run... looks like I can get the supplies for a relatively low cost.

I'll update before i hit the hay tonight...

Thanks again!

The link I provided gives both diseases overviews. I feel bad for the poor girl, good luck and keep us updated.

Okay... QT tank is set up. Heater, sponge filter, thermometer.

1st dose of Maceryn 2 is in.

What kind of dosing regimen should I follow for the epsom salts?

Also, what can I do to keep the sponge filter submerged? the top of the output tube keeps coming above water... lots of splash.

Here's to hoping we caught this in time.

Put a rock on the bottom of the sponge filter until it gets totally saturated, then it should stay down. What size is the QT?

cool... added... is that re-dosed every day? The Maracyn is saying no water changes til the end of the sequence... will that cause too much of a salt buildup?

Oh... and I just friggin' noticed that the box I picked up was the saltwater version of Maracyn 2... grrr! How bad is this? Obviously, I'll have to pick up a new box tomorrow of freshwater... gah.

Back
Top Bottom