Sick baby betta :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So this is either a very good sign or a very bad sign. Ammonia is zero same with nitrites. Nitrates around 20ppms. Ph is 7.2. Either the tank is fully cycled in the week its been setup or it hasnt done anything yet. The nitrates are probubly due to my tap water. I didnt have enough water to fill it all the way and had to add some. I did throw in a bunch of goldfish flakes which I can see rotting at the bottom would that cause ammonia?

Yes the food would cause ammonia. What do you mean you didn't have enough water? If you have nitrites change the water. Test your tap water for nitrites and trates. If there is some, we 'll figure it out. You said your other tank was cycled, is there gravel in that tank? If so I'd take a handful or 2 and put it in the Betta 5g. Water doesn't really ever hold enough bacteria. I know this is a lot at once so if you are unclear about anything let me know.

Yes you are right, it's a fungus more than likely. We need to get rid of it as quick as possible because it will eat him alive. When you decide if the 5g is suitable ( which at this point really needs to be) just give him completely new water. Acclimate him slowly. Fungus is brought in by stress. So I can't stress it enough to do it slowly. Add your salt to your water (1 teaspoon to 2 1/2 g) and I'd add some Stresscoat if you have any. If your tank isn't cycled, it will have to have extremely clean water all the time. Did you ever test that water?

New water in the 5gal? I'm going to do a water change in the five to lower the nitrates. I'm worried about the temp change. So I have a heater for my 37gal with a tempurature guage so I can set a temp is that too large? I have another small heater but I dont like that one it has no settings. I'll drip aclimate him. Thats the best way to do it. Is there an antibiotic you would suggest? I know walmart has started carrying them yay! So i dont have to drive a huge ways now to get them.

Yes the food would cause ammonia. What do you mean you didn't have enough water? If you have nitrites change the water. Test your tap water for nitrites and trates. If there is some, we 'll figure it out. You said your other tank was cycled, is there gravel in that tank? If so I'd take a handful or 2 and put it in the Betta 5g. Water doesn't really ever hold enough bacteria. I know this is a lot at once so if you are unclear about anything let me know.

So I get water from my friends house because my tap water has 35ppms of nitrate. I ran out of that water and had to add some of mine (tap water) to the five gal when I filled it to start the cycling process. Only nitrites in the 1gal bowl with the betta none in my 5gal. I took 3net fulls of gravel out of my 37gal when I filled the 5gal to start the cycling which was about a week ago.

New water in the 5gal? I'm going to do a water change in the five to lower the nitrates. I'm worried about the temp change. So I have a heater for my 37gal with a tempurature guage so I can set a temp is that too large? I have another small heater but I dont like that one it has no settings. I'll drip aclimate him. Thats the best way to do it. Is there an antibiotic you would suggest? I know walmart has started carrying them yay! So i dont have to drive a huge ways now to get them.

Yes I would change the water in the 5g if you have nitrites. Those are worse on fish than ammonia. I would get some Maracyn if you can. I don't know if wal mart sells it or not. But I know how you feel about having to drive forever to get what you need. I don't think there's anyway you could use a heater suitable for your 37 tank for a 5. It would cook him. How many watts if your small one? You could always use a thermometer in your 5 and watch it that way.

So I get water from my friends house because my tap water has 35ppms of nitrate. I ran out of that water and had to add some of mine (tap water) to the five gal when I filled it to start the cycling process. Only nitrites in the 1gal bowl with the betta none in my 5gal. I took 3net fulls of gravel out of my 37gal when I filled the 5gal to start the cycling which was about a week ago.

That's right. I remember you saying that. Use your water conditioner for that. It should help a big.

Yes I would change the water in the 5g if you have nitrites. Those are worse on fish than ammonia. I would get some Maracyn if you can. I don't know if wal mart sells it or not. But I know how you feel about having to drive forever to get what you need. I don't think there's anyway you could use a heater suitable for your 37 tank for a 5. It would cook him. How many watts if your small one? You could always use a thermometer in your 5 and watch it that way.

No its nitrAtes not nitrites. The little bowl has a few nitries but not the five. The five gal is reading like a fully cycled tank. Within my disposal antibiotic wise I have kanaplex,tetra pond pond fish treatment with formaldehyde quinne-hydrochloride, I also have jungle ick clear which contains victoria green and acriflavine. Could this be cured with water changes and aquarium salt? So many things can be lol. The pond treatment says it treats fungus tho

No its nitrAtes not nitrites. The little bowl has a few nitries but not the five. The five gal is reading like a fully cycled tank. Within my disposal antibiotic wise I have kanaplex,tetra pond pond fish treatment with formaldehyde quinne-hydrochloride, I also have jungle ick clear which contains victoria green and acriflavine. Could this be cured with water changes and aquarium salt? So many things can be lol

I think it could be if you stay on top of it. If you see it getting worse you'll probably need to medicate. Sorry about the confusion of the tanks. We're taking about a lot of water here!

I think it could be if you stay on top of it. If you see it getting worse you'll probably need to medicate. Sorry about the confusion of the tanks. We're taking about a lot of water here!

Lol yeah. I didnt mean to sound rude sorry I was just trying to clearify. The heater says for tanks 2-5gal. 7.5watts

Then it should be find. Just monitor it.

Alright. I have the heater put in the 5gal and the temp of the bowl was about 76 so I'll get it to roughly there. Should I put his bubbler in the 5gal now?

So while I was eating I put him in a bag of his tank water and floated him in the tank. Then over a period of an hour or so I slowly added water from the 5gal. I'm gonna add him to the tank soon.

The redness seems to have diminished quite abit on one gill :) will I have to remove the carbon filter when I had the medication?

Yes you have to remove the carbon if you add medication.

Okay. I got a better look at him now and I dont see any fungus. I see a spot where his scales are pale in a circle where I thought the fungus was. He looks sooooo much happier :) he's swimming around playing glaring at his reflection. Checking out his giant new home. Is there anything I could feed him to bring his colors back? He's so pale.

He's still not eating though. Is brine shrimp worth a try? He always gobbled those right up before.

Back
Top Bottom