Sick beta new fish owner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_macaronni_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to owning fish. I have a 10 gallon tank with a regent filter system. I did everything the salesperson told me to. I used the Bettasafe liquid that makes tap water safe for bettas and had my tank up and running 3 hours before I put the fish in. I acclimated him to the water by letting his container float on the water for the full 3 hrs. I've had him since Christmas and 3 days ago I noticed he was covered in white spots. I went to pet smart and they gave me "jungle Ick Clear" I've used it as directed but he still isn't getting any better. Can anyone help me? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420330891.137637.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420330913.152823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well your tank is not cycled for one thing. What is your temperature at?

Turn the heater up 1 degree every 2 hours until 86 degrees. Get some aquarium salt from petsmart and dose the tank 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

I would also get a bottle of tetra safe start in hopes that you could cycle the tank quicker. Do some research on nitrogen cycle as ammonia and nitrites can kill your fish.

Also you should do a water change tonight. You need to use a dechlorinator to treat the tap water before you put it in as those chemicals will also kill your fish.

And if you get the tetra safe start wait 24 hours after water change because the declorinator kills the bacteria

Try using API pimafix. I had two platies that had a fungal infection that sounds similar to yours.

Try using API pimafix. I had two platies that had a fungal infection that sounds similar to yours.

You may want to do a little research on that bit of Advice. .
Op - ignore this please..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm no genius to owning fish, but my first 2 Bettas died from ammonia poisoning. They had white fuzzy stuff on them, but I think these types is sicknesses are similar when I did research. Your dealing with either a fungal or bacterial infection. When I had bought my 2 we got a 10gal and split it in half for them to have company. Everything was fine for a few weeks and then a change happened. And they started getting sick looking and have fuzzy algae things growing on them. If I had did research then I would have known the tank was supposed to be getting water changes more often and the gravel vaccumed. I was also over feeding them so this made the tank more dirty. I wish I had known. I found out too late. He was put on Bettafix (tea tree oil mixture) and taken out (the first betta had died a day before) the sick one and but he didn't make it. I was so sad. But what I also found was that when tanks first start up from new this is when this crap starts to happen. They get better as the tanks age and are active. Makes sense when you think about it.

What I would do is get some medicine.. I heard primafix or Bettafix works and run that through plus, you can do a 50% water change and be safe. Someone said you can do that everyday, but I don't like that idea. Use some of the stress x stuff to reduce stress, lower ammonia, add slime coat to fish etc. they also make ammonia buffer pellets you drop in to also help lower ammonia.

I would buy the water test strips so you know if everything is good as well.

Oh yea and in between my fishes being ill they had problems with the constant filter currents. Bettas live naturally where there is little water movement and the filters will sometimes damage their fins. There's ways to semi block the filter to slow it. (Just to mention it)

So sorry I ain't a fish expert but I wanted to put my input out there on behalf of my fish. Elrond and Clancy.

Hope your boys get well

Read up on Fish In Cycling. Your tank needs to build up colonies of beneficial bacteria, BB, to handle the fish waste.

What happens in a new tank that is not cycled, when the fish poops it builds up and you get large amounts of ammonia. The ammonia is very damaging to the fish and that is probably why your fish is sick. It's not your fault , stores often don't give very good advice on how to start new tanks.

If you're going to the store anyway you might consider picking up a Java fern or Moss ball or easy plant to put in there. The live plant can also help with the cycle.

Yes, I agree do a large water change right away. The new water out of the tap you want to make sure matches the temperature of the tank water. And you want to add dechlorinator , I use prime, to the tap water in the bucket before you put it in the tank.

As was mentioned, if you do not have a heater you will need to purchase one. Bettas, especially ill bettas, need warm water. Normal temperature when the fish is not sick would be about 80°F.

Be careful just throwing medicines into a tank. Try to identify what is actually wrong with the fish, whether it is fungus, or Ich. Heat and some salt can help. Ich looks like grains of salt on the skin of the fish. Fungus may be white but usually has fuzzy edges and fungus can vary in size.

The most important thing right now is to get the fish into clean warm water and try to support the fish. Test your water or get your water tested. The most vital things you're looking for right now are ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels.

If you buy Prime, you only need to use two drops per gallon of water.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You guys are going to get me going here. ☆☆☆☆tea tree oil should not be used with fish containing labryinth organs☆☆☆☆☆ stop posting prior to actually researching what you're suggesting that someone with a sick fish do to their sick fish.
Op- get some prime and standard aquarium salt.. set your temp at 76° and ads the reccomended dose of salt. Wc every 5 days for a few weeks and discontinue salt use. Clean water and proper diet go a long way.

If a friend has a fully cycled tank, you can get a piece of their media ( filter floss for ex) and keeping it in tank water, bring it to your house and put it into or squeeze it over your filter to help "seed" your new filter with BB.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You guys are going to get me going here. ☆☆☆☆tea tree oil should not be used with fish containing labryinth organs☆☆☆☆☆ stop posting prior to actually researching what you're suggesting that someone with a sick fish do to their sick fish.
Op- get some prime and standard aquarium salt.. set your temp at 76° and ads the reccomended dose of salt. Wc every 5 days for a few weeks and discontinue salt use. Clean water and proper diet go a long way.

I used Bettafix.. Supposed to be for them... With tea tree in it. I did not know that part though.

You may want to do a little research on that bit of Advice. .
Op - ignore this please..

To Op and Brookster, my bad should have checked for Bettas and Melafix. I learned something. Hope you betta gets better!!!!

Back
Top Bottom