Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sick Betta??

My girlfriend has a viel tail betta and is worried its sick and is going to die. She said that it hasn't really eaten in a week due to the opening she uses to feed him is clogged with food. She also told me that he is a little grey/white around his gills. Does anyone know if this is common or what is wrong with him?

By the way he is in a 3 gallon kit she bought from walmart.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got a pic of the fish? and if she can if it is clogged could you clean it and then it wouldnt be clogged no more

Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

She cleaned it out when she realized it was clogged. And she just told me that he is acting normal. Do you know what could cause grey/white around his gills?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

try this site to help u more Tropical Fish Centre - Fish Diseases it may be cause by bad water quality
Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

do you have a pic of the fish easier to tell but thats what i think it is normally when something like that is round the fishes faces normally bad water quality
Old 11-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Does she have a filter? how often are water changes done? If she dose not have a filter I would reccomend this, http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752355
I had it for my betta and it was great.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes she does have a filter. A UGF if i'm not mistaken. I don't have any pics of the fish and she can't get any good ones. I don't know the last time she did a water change and gravel vac. I'm heading there sunday and I'll clean her tank for her. I'll also tell her to do a small water change tonight.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 4 bettas, and I do 50% pwc's every week in each tank since I have a filter. I see you have a filter too, so that's good! Also, a bettas stomach is only as big as it's eye, so you should only be feeding it about 3 pellets, depending on the size. I use Hikari pellets and they are pretty small, so I give them 4 apiece every 12 hours, but first I soak them for about 5 minutes in a cup of tank water before I give them to them.
Also, why is the hole plugged? Does she just drop the food in through there? I feed all of mine by hand, much more fun that way! I just get the soaked pellet on my finger and dip it into the water. And if she is feeding flakes, they are not the best for them. Pellets should be their main staple, with the occasional bloodworm as a treat. I also feed mine boiled, de-shelled, mushed up peas every Thursday morning because it helps with their digestion and they LOVE them!
I found this website that will more than likely help you in diagnosing the problem and treating it. It sounds like a fungal infection to me.

betta diseases

Good luck!

Tags
betta, ick, sick, sick betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com