Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick betta

Hello everyone, I recently bought Oscar from a bad store(he was in plastic cup half full with dirty cold water) when i got him he had fungle infection above his eye, and fin rot and another something I just noticed(I have him for a week now) he has something that looks like 2 fat small white stripes on one of his pectoral fins and today he started using it less and darts abit.. He currently on Omnipur sera to treat his finrot and its working..
Just Oscar being Oscar.. | Facebook
here is a little video of him flaring before i started the treatment.
I tried to take a picture of the thing on the fins but it didn't go well.. here is what I got.. (day 3 into finrot treatment btw)

Abit about his home, it's a Jebo R338 with a heater and a filter(currently off because of the meds) and live plants and a cave

The water is around 78f

Thanks for the help in advance

Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did no one reply to you? How is it going? I have a very sick betta right now too.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i use melafix in my tank to keep my betta healthy. he recently had what we thought was finrot so we treated with melafix and hes fine.

unfortunately without being able to see it its hard to judge. you've done well with the pictures you've got (i know its not easy photographing fish) but could you get some more? better if possible?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not really jmgpop.. He looks alot better now, finished the Omnipur sera treatment 2 days ago.. here is a picture from yesterday

The thing on his fin looks abit like a fangus will aquarium salt help with that? if yes what is the dose?

I'll try tomorrow to take a better picture with a friend's camera its much better quality..

by the way, whats wrong with your betta?

Offtopic.. What kind of diet can I make for oscar?(he refuses to eat anything but pea and bloodworms (didn't find a shop in my country that has brine shrimp yet)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	85874  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gotta be honest we weren't sure. A lot of people said finrot even though it was only the one fin that deteriorated and he didn't display any other symptoms of finrot. I personally think because he looks a lil old he was blowing his fin and now after all this treatment with melafix and decent pcw every week his tail had grown back or at least a lot of it has and he's started building bubble nests for the first time ever so yeah he's much better

We feed ours a mix of pellets, flakes, bloodworm and he also tends to eat a bit of the algae wafer that we put in for the shrimp and snail. I would say don't feed him for a day or two so he's hungry then put some flakes or pellets or whatever you want to feed him. Our Betta didn't like flakes to start with but we left him a day or two without food and gave him flakes and now he loves em
Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know what is wrong with my betta. I too have resorted to a general antibiotic. Using tetracycline. After one 1/2 of a dose, he's now swimming at the top of the tank but not active. Before he was hiding at the bottom - since saturday last week. He hasn't eaten since Friday. I think maybe fin rot now... I thought maybe ich? But the cotton appearance could be from the fin rot - then I think he got a secondary infection.

Today he is still at the top of the tank. Gonna do a partial water change, add Voogle first aid for fish, a 1/2 dose of tetra cycline and the Nutrafin biomax (which they say adds good bacteria after medicating - who knows if its helping but I have no ammonia and 0 trites so far... I'm hoping to keep it that way!

You betta looks like it's doing pretty good.

Keep on keeping on! All we can do is try!

Janelle

Tags
betta, ick, sick, sick betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com