Sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyAnnW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Junior, our Betta, has been happily living in our community tank for 5 weeks. Yesterday he became lethargic. His fins look ragged and one appears to have a bit of fluffy white on the end. Now his belly is distended. I removed him from the 10 gallon and placed him in a shallow bowl where he can get to the top easy. I fed him a pea and have been using an all in one treatment and doing after changes. Have no test kit at home, but the fish store told us our parameters were perfect Friday. What could be wrong with our baby? He' our favorite fish!

Attachments

• image-1469236555.jpg
    image-1469236555.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 60
Forgot to add all other fish are showing no symptoms of illness.

This is what he looks like normally.

Attachments

• image-2529387381.jpg
    image-2529387381.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 71
It sounds like he has a bacterial infection. I would change 200% of his water every day (one in morning, one at night) since he's only in a small container. Do you have access to methylene blue at your pet store? This will help him breathe and recover.

I'll have my husband check for that tomorrow. Do my other fish need to be treated since he became ill in the community tank? The Betta has a gallon tank right now and seems to perk up a little after I put the meds in his water.

I'll have my husband check for that tomorrow. Do my other fish need to be treated since he became ill in the community tank? The Betta has a gallon tank right now and seems to perk up a little after I put the meds in his water.

I wouldn't medicate the main tank since its only the one Betta. Methylene blue kills nitrifying bacteria so it's only good in quarantine. What meds are you using right now?

It's a combo drug that has that in it. Junior seems to feel better today. Fins still look fuzzy, but he is perkier. Also his stomach looks flatter, the pea must've got his bowels to moving!

Junior is all better! Thanks for all the advice!

You're very welcome! Please post some photos of Junior when you have the opportunity. :) Have a super weekend.

Back
Top Bottom