Sick Betta =(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batmansocks117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night I noticed my betta had lost a lot of his color and wasn't swimming around as much as he usually does. I tested my water and everything was fine with the exception of the nitrates, which were pretty high. I did a 25% water change and added in a little less than half a teaspoon of aquarium salt and kept the light off. This morning he was still the same (he was in the same spot as last night) and I was worried he had died in the night. I put a couple food flakes in there and he swam enough to gobble them up then went back to just staying still. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him and if there's anything I could do to help make him better?

He's in a 5 gallon tank by himself with a heater (usually stays about 78-80 in there) and quite a few live plants. My parameters from this morning are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 40

Oh, and on Sunday night I had put a drop of liquid fertilizer in for the plants. Could that have something to do with it?

Attachments

• image-2781277279.jpg
    image-2781277279.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3297365816.jpg
    image-3297365816.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 70
Your nitrates aren't excessively high, on the borderline, but maybe your fish is particularly sensitive. That or there is something else going on. The fertiliser might have had an impact but as I don't use any I wouldn't know. Hope someone can help you!

He looks like he might be kinda bloated. Can you get better pictures of him? It's a little hard to really see with the ones you got right now.

What test kit are you using? Liquid test kits are the best to use.

Loss of color simply means he's not happy. It doesn't really point to anything. Do you notice any sores or spot on him that weren't there before? How old is he?

He looks like he might be kinda bloated. Can you get better pictures of him? It's a little hard to really see with the ones you got right now.

What test kit are you using? Liquid test kits are the best to use.

Loss of color simply means he's not happy. It doesn't really point to anything. Do you notice any sores or spot on him that weren't there before? How old is he?

Here's some better photos of him. It seems like he's lost more color since I got home from work.. He is also floating kinda crooked on his right side, if that makes sense.

I am using liquid test kits. I got him about 2 months ago from my LFS, I don't know how long they had him there before that. No sores or spots anywhere on him, the only thing is his torn fin, which happened about a week ago when he got caught on one of the ornaments that was in there (not in there anymore)...

Attachments

• image-475373641.jpg
    image-475373641.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1334474734.jpg
    image-1334474734.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2587625284.jpg
    image-2587625284.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 53
  • image-720546489.jpg
    image-720546489.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 49
I think he looks bloated. Start by feeding blanched de-shelled peas or frozen daphina. <(sp?) Do that for 2-3 days, then fast for one day. I would try to get the temp up to 80-82, it might help him feel better also if his tummy hurts.

I think he looks bloated. Start by feeding blanched de-shelled peas or frozen daphina. <(sp?) Do that for 2-3 days, then fast for one day. I would try to get the temp up to 80-82, it might help him feel better also if his tummy hurts.

Okay, should I give him some tonight or wait until tomorrow? Also for future reference should I have a day out of the week where he doesn't get any food? Thanks for the help!

Sooner the better in my opinion. Fasting one day a week won't hurt :)

Okay, I just tried giving him one and he wasn't having it, he swam to his corner with all the plants. Heh, at least I know he's well enough to be stubborn.. >.< I will keep trying every few hours to see if he will eat a bit, and then try again tomorrow morning.. Should I not give him any other food for the next few days besides the blanched peas?

Back
Top Bottom