Sick Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
MY betta isn't eating and has been acting strange. He is two years old (that I have had him). He has always been an eager eater but hasn't eaten for the past 2 days. He is also favoring one corner of the tank which isn't normal for him. He has never been sick in the past. He hasn't been rubbing on anything or acting odd any other ways. Water levels are all normal and good (did an API test and everything is within the right levels). All other fish in the tank seem fine (Neon Tetras, Snails, and shrimp). He is the only acting different. He looks normal to me but maybe I am missing something so I am adding pics. The only recent change to his tank has been a female RCS eggs hatching and a new filter (seeded with old filters media). Could it maybe just be bloat from eating too many babies? Or maybe the flow on the new filter is too much and I should try baffling it? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Please ignore the diatoms on the glass. The snails love that leaf so I never wipe it off.

Sorry he's not feeling well. It is possible the filter is too strong, I would turn it off for an hour or so to see if it makes any difference. If it does then you know you need to baffle it in some way. Another possibility is old age, store bought Bettas tend have a lifespan of 2-3 yrs so he could be reaching the end of his life sorry to say. What sized tank is he in? You may want to move him into a breeder box or a smaller tank so he doesn't have to exert too much energy or struggle to get around or get to the surface for air. He looks pretty clamped up. If you think he is constipated or bloated you can treat him with pure Epsom salts, pre-dissolved first, starting with 1 tsp per gallon.

I agree that he could just be nearing the end of his happy little life. Is his belly swollen at all???

Thank you shelliaca for you thoughtful comment. I put him in a breeder box this morning with a plant to sit in. I also added a bit of epsom salt. This evening when I checked on him he had passed. I am hoping it was just old age and not something I missed. I feel awful.

Betta Platy Addict, I am hoping that old age is what it was. His tummy never looked swollen or bloated really. He looked the same as normal really. He just started to hide a lot and stopped eating. Both totally out of character for him.

So sorry he passed. It's so difficult to figure out an illness with a fish. It sounds like he was well cared for.

Back
Top Bottom