Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sick betta

My betta has swim bladder I'm assuming, (he floats to the top if he tries to swim down) this has only been going on for a week or so, I've been away so I haven't done anything yet. He's also recent gotten a bit of white fuzz on his head. He's in a gallon or so ( I think) cylinder. I do a water change usually once a week, I tried feeding him a pea, it didn't look like he went for it but he hasn't been eating very well. I was thinking to try lowering the water to about an inch above his fin, with daily water changes. Any ideas on that? I have melafix I could use, would I have to dilute it? I know the bettafix is something like half the strength? Anyway let me know! This is my sisters fish and he's not that old so I'm hoping to fix him up! Any help would be appreciated!

Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and here's a pic

The fuzz is on his tail. Sorry for the crappy pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3373743384.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	186771  

Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here's a better pic. I'm changing his water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1699629871.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	186772  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anyone?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo8 View Post
My betta has swim bladder I'm assuming, (he floats to the top if he tries to swim down) this has only been going on for a week or so, I've been away so I haven't done anything yet. He's also recent gotten a bit of white fuzz on his head. He's in a gallon or so ( I think) cylinder. I do a water change usually once a week, I tried feeding him a pea, it didn't look like he went for it but he hasn't been eating very well. I was thinking to try lowering the water to about an inch above his fin, with daily water changes. Any ideas on that? I have melafix I could use, would I have to dilute it? I know the bettafix is something like half the strength? Anyway let me know! This is my sisters fish and he's not that old so I'm hoping to fix him up! Any help would be appreciated!
Ok I'm not an expert and I can't help with treatment of either of those but I'm wondering if this could have been caused by the tiny tank with infrequent water changes. Is the tank filtered and heated? If its not at least filtered then weekly water changes are not nearly enough. In such a small size you would need to do WCs every other day. Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? These are often the cause of many proems fish have.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment
2.5 gallon RCS tank
DragonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would fast him for 2-3 days if you haven't done so already. If after 3 days he is still having trouble with his swimming you add PURE fragrance free epsom salt at 1 tsp per gallon to start, pre-dissolve it in a glass then add half to his tank wait an hour or so then add the other half. If after a day or so this doesn't clean him out then up it 2 tsp per gallon, you can go up to 3 tsp per gallon. This should do the trick within a couple of days, it'll act like a laxative so you should see lots of poo. In a 1g tank I suggest doing at a bare minimum 2 water change per week, 1 50%+ & a 100%. He is a Betta which are tropical fish so his tank water should be 78-80F if it isn't already. I would try the clean, warm, conditioned water to see if that makes the fuzz go away, if it doesn't you can use aq salt per box instructions BUT not in conjunction with the epsom salt. I hope this all makes sense & that it helps.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com