Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta_Fish_13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and got the app because I have a problem. My male betta whom I have had for six months now and am very attached to has a serious problem. He has fin rot terribly and will not get over it from salt treatments. His originally pink scales are turning a deep orange in places around his forehead. His lips seem to be rotting away, just like his tail and fins. He has a cottony matter around his lips also. He has some brown spots on his head that have been there for a while and they didn't seem to spread or anything so I didn't think much of it until now. He also has bloody spots by his tail. I really want to save him if I can, Please help! You should probably also know he lives in a cycled five gallon aquarium with a platty and a Cory cat fish, I used to have a whole school of them but they all died. I do water changes about once a week, about a gallon's worth. I live out of town so there is no chlorine in the water where I live. I have been doing salt treatments for Three days now and he has only gotten worse. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but something must be wrong or he wouldn't keep getting worse.

It sounds like you betta has a few kinds of infections. Try Maracyn 2 by Mardel, it is a brand of antibiotic minocycline for aquariums.

Considering the loss of the whole school, It sounds to me like there is an environmental factor in your aquarium that increases the likelihood of disease. In order to identify this factor please tell us more about your tank.

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

What size is the cory and the platy?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently

The school died a long time ago, I just didn't want people getting upset because Corys are schooling fish and I was just keeping one. I don't have any kind of a test kit on hand, I will get one when I have a chance, though.

The tank has been set up with this filter and gravel for 2 months. Have had the tank longer. I don't know what type of filter it is, it is a 2-5 gallon filter. The Cory and platty are each about 1 inch long. The betta was two inches before fin loss. Betta has been quarantined for three days. I don't have a gravel vacuum but I clean the gravel with hot water every couple of months. I added new gravel awhile before I had this betta. Got two new plastic plants two weeks ago. I remove 1 gallon of water every time I replace the water. I feed them TetraColor flakes, BettaMin flakes, and TetraBetta pellets. Not all at the same time, of course, that would be too much food:)

I don't have a gravel vacuum but I clean the gravel with hot water every couple of months.

I think that this may be contributing to the issue that you're facing.

Typically an aquarist will sterilize gravel with boiling water before introducing it into the aquarium. This isn't really an effective technique to remove the detritus that leads to stress and disease in fish from the aquarium.

Your fish will benefit from regular gravel vacuuming.

yep, find a gravel vacuum, treat (I agree - sounds like you have multiple issues), do a 50% water change (can't hurt and fin rot clears up fastest in good water). Also, you're pretty maxed out on stocking IMO. Don't add more fish.

Thank you for your help. My fish did die last night and I am almost happy for him. I will go get a gravel vacuum next time I go to the store (the only store near me is a dollar general) and I do want to get a bigger tank and start over (I want to euthanize my Cory, he has terrible swim bladder disease and I really don't know how to get him to eat the pea, so that is my best option, I think) and the platty can go in the aquarium I am getting my brother for his birthday. I want to get danios and gouramis. I also plan to get a heater because I know I should have had one with the betta. I am going to start a new topic about gouramis, help me out there if you would. You guys seem to know what you are talking about:)

The heater is a must if you plan on keeping tropical fish such as betta. They need a water temperature around 74ºF to stay healthy.

This is more important than the gravel vacuum.

And the betta is ALL you should have in a 5 gallon tank. You were severely overstocked.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Patty1980, this was a two inch betta, 1 inch per gallon is what I go by, so, under stalked

Everything I've read on here says that rule is archaic. Look at your animals bioload, activity requirements, and compatibility with other fish. Just trying to help :)

In my 5 gallon I have my betta, 2 ADF and one mystery snail. I do 50% wc at least once per week to keep my ammonia and nitrates at a minimum, for example.

Everything I've read on here says that rule is archaic. Look at your animals bioload, activity requirements, and compatibility with other fish. Just trying to help :)

+1. It's only a guideline and you have to adjust it to account for fish type, etc. I tend to believe all these guides should apply to final growth length as well (unless you have a rehoming plan).

Back
Top Bottom