Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My gold fish (from 4-h fair) my son won them on a game. 2 wks after having them they starting getting black fins. I looked it up and learned that if fish live with snails sometimes the snail carry's diseases. Well, the fair had snails with the fish. Anyways. I started using MELAFIX it cleared up that black. And before I started the medicine I cleaned the whole tank took everything out even the fish. Then fresh water and meds, and fish. Might what to try that.

Thank you, Angellove78. I have read that Melafix and other "fixes" is not good for bettas because it damages the labyrinth organ. Prince is still the same. Today is the sixth dose of Furan2. Hoping I do not have to euthanize - told my husband last night if it comes to that he will have to do it as I will not be able to. Plan to use the icy water formula on this site if we have to - hope we do not.

OK how about putting him in a different tank and treating him. With what ur treating him with. Maybe there's something in the tank that's still in the water. I'd try anything to save him. I love Betta's. There's alot that can hurt them. Never seen lice on a fish before. I did today Looking things up for ya. I hope there's still time to save him. I wish u all the luck. If I can figure out how to share the site I went to I'll post it for u. It has everything about Betta diseases, illnesses, and much more.

Thank you, Angellove78. I have read that Melafix and other "fixes" is not good for bettas because it damages the labyrinth organ. Prince is still the same. Today is the sixth dose of Furan2. Hoping I do not have to euthanize - told my husband last night if it comes to that he will have to do it as I will not be able to. Plan to use the icy water formula on this site if we have to - hope we do not.

I hope you don’t have to do this, however you should read up on euthanising by using clove oil!
This appears to be the most humane way of putting fish down, and I have done quite a bit of research into it and the ice water way appears to cause a lot of stress and it can take some time.

Clove oil will knock the fish unconscious and then You dose more and eventually the concentration will get to a lethal dose causing the fish to pass away but this all happens while the fish is unconscious so feels nothing.
There are loads of instructions online on how to dose the water with clove oil correctly but I fully recommend this rather than any other form.

Thank you, lewis.r,

I am praying we do not have to do this. So much conflicting information on the internet. I will research before I do anything. I still have hope. He is having trouble now finding his food (or at least catching it at first blow) this seems to be taking a lot out of him. Good thing he is still very interested in the food.

I read a post by a aquatic vet who said that until the fish stops moving in trying to get away from a "netting" (never use a net to capture Prince) he still has a fighting chance. He just looks so depressed. He fins are now getting more red in them, but is he is losing the black from them, so I am wondering if this is a turn in the right direction...???...I guess time alone will tell.

On another note...has anyone seen that furan2 has a potential to raise nitrates? Prince's tank has always run below 5ppm. For the last couple of days I have seen a spike in nitrates. Still below the 20ppm mark (so hard to tell on the api freshwater test what the actual reading is). I have been dosing as directed on the furan2 package - dose, dose, waterchage dose, dose, waterchange dose (i.e., waterchange only on the 2nd day although they say 25%, I do 50% because I don't like the rise in nitrates). Ammonia and nitrites are staying at 0. Any help is appreciated.

BTW...his tank does have live several live plants (see pic). I am also attaching pictures of him today 9/29/17. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20170929_115552.jpg
    IMG_20170929_115552.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20170929_115604.jpg
    IMG_20170929_115604.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20170929_115616.jpg
    IMG_20170929_115616.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 35
Has his water temperature dropped at all or went up. If his temperature don't stay steady between 78-80degrees he will get really sick. How's he doing now?

Prince is pretty much the same. have been off Furan2/aqua salt for about five days now and seem to be getting more black in his fins again. Still have water at half level. He still has a "betta" appetite. Thinking of trying another round of Kanaplex to see if that does anything maybe through medicated food. Planning all that today. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom