Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumnoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this betta for about a year now, and of course when I got him before I knew anything I picked the one with the longest most colorful fins. Who knows how long he sat at walmart before I found him. Yesterday I didn't even think he would make it through the night. He has something almost scabby looking at the base of one of his front fins, and is beginning to develop a fungus on his tail. I'm going to wait tonight to see if he survives before I begin treatment, but tomorrow, if he's still here what should I treat him with? I have a 10 gal with 3 cories 3 otos and a bamboo shrimp (and like 75 snails, fixing to remove some this weekend, I've heard they multiply due to over feeding, but I've been told NOT to feed less, because I feed not very much already, anyways thats another thread from a while ago). He had ich probably about a month ago, only 1 spot, raised the temp to 86* F for 2 weeks, all better. Does salt fix fungus or do I have to use meds, and can I put him in a tank without heater/filter? I don't really have the money to get a hospital tank, plus during the year I live in a dorm room (no space). Thanks for the help.

edit: I tested the water yesterday and the results were: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 15 nitrates, 7.2 pH, temp 78*F

You can set up a QT tank with a heater and a clean unused rubbermaid container. You should not use salt with the other inhabitants of your tank. Qt him and using Jungle's fungus eliminator or Maracyn II would be best. When was your last water change?

I usually do it every week, but it had let it get away from me. I plan on doing one today/tomorrow (which will be 2 weeks), but I tested the water day before yesterday and the params were good.

Without giving exact parameters, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, we can't help. You saying good doesn't tell us anything. Try one of the meds in QT and see how he does.

I apologize, I edited in the parameters and I guess I didnt save. (that's why I thought it odd that he ask when the water change was) Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 15, pH 7.2

I agree with Zagz. A clean, unused Rubbermaid container will be a good QT tank. As long as it's 2-3 gallons in capacity, you can use a 25 watt heater in there. It is important for bettas to have a stable, warm (80 degrees) water temperature. Sometimes bettas get ill because their water temperature fluctuates, but this should not be the case in your 10 gallon tank. Some bettas are prone to finrot as they get older. I have used Jungle Fungus Eliminator on bettas before with success. It will help the finrot and the fuzzy patch.

Thanks for the suggestions, he had died this morning. I think the reason he was getting sick was due to a compromised immune system because he was dying of old age. It's never the physical old age that gets you, it just leads to many things at once. My first and favorite fish, came up to see me when I walked over to the tank, very lively. I'll miss him.

I'm sorry for your loss. A year is a pretty long time to have a betta. They may be 6 months old or more at the store when we buy them. He had a good long life with you!

Back
Top Bottom