Sick betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biocalluna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~ betta fish with tattered fins that had blackened edges, lethargic, seems to have trouble swimming and is less active, just seems to lay on betta bed (hasn't been laying on the bottom since water change yesterday) - assumed fin rot. Previously treated with salt for 7 days in a quarantine tank and he perked right up, moved him back and he's safe again

2~ I only have a few parameters :( ammonia between 0 and 0.25 (same color as test from tanks that have only been cycling 3 days so it's very low if not 0) and temp is 76 F right now though I added warm water this morning and brought it up to 82 F. It is a heated tank so it stays at 76 F. I added warm water because I read at several sources that warmer Temps can help heal fin rot

3~ the tank is 5.5 gallons and has been set up for almost a year.

4~ the filter is a Tetra 10i with a piece of water bottle taped on to lessen surface disturbance.

5~ 1 fish, a betta named Titus. He's rather small for a betta, probably about 4 cm from head to tail (about 1.5 inches)

6~I did a 50% water change yesterday (I was using bettafix and read some things that freaked me out about it) with some added salt instead of betta fix and another 25% water change this morning with warmer water to increase the temperature more than the heater does, also with some salt.

I always use water conditioner.

I usually do 25-50% water changes once a month. I also scoop the gravel out and rinse it well before adding it back.

7~ I've had this fish almost a year, since last summer. He was healthy up until February when I noticed how lethargic he was. He perked up with a 50% water change and a salt treatment but he's not feeling great again.

8~I swapped out a plant but that was back in December so I doubt it would have contributed to his illness. Nothing else is new.

9~I usually feed him pellet food and bloodworms interchangeably. They aren't new either.

He's lost some color and is lethargic and droopy. Not swimming well and stays near top of the tank by the betta bed. Seems to be getting air more often than usual. I was worried about ammonia and tested it but it was a light yellow-green which was between 0 and 0.25. I suspect 0 because it was the same coloring as the tanks I have cycling that have only been going for 3 days.

I'm hoping it's just fin rot but he doesn't seem to be getting better :( the outer edges of his fins are frayed but after his first salt treatment there aren't any more black spots.

Attachments

• 14904924890101427994788.jpg
    14904924890101427994788.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 1490492506776554000408.jpg
    1490492506776554000408.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 1490492524015-1898048680.jpg
    1490492524015-1898048680.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 1490492551716-851341120.jpg
    1490492551716-851341120.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 87
Fin rot is extremely common in betta fish. The most common cause of fin rot is a fungal infection. This can be treated with a 50% water change to start off. You said you already used salt in a quarantine tank and it helped? Maybe try adding some salt to its current tank.
Medications for fin rot are readily available at pet stores and aquarium stores. I personally only use medication as a last resort but if you say you've tried everything else, it can be very useful.
Also, don't be afraid to do another 40-50% water change. Bettas do not appreciate any ammonia in their water. And make sure you always test the PH before adding your fish back into the water. Betta fish prefer a PH of 6.5-7 (slightly acidic)
I hope this helps, goodluck :)

Also make sure that the water you add during a water change is the same temperature as the water in your tank. Sudden temp changes can stress out your fish.

Fin rot is extremely common in betta fish. The most common cause of fin rot is a fungal infection. This can be treated with a 50% water change to start off. You said you already used salt in a quarantine tank and it helped? Maybe try adding some salt to its current tank.
Medications for fin rot are readily available at pet stores and aquarium stores. I personally only use medication as a last resort but if you say you've tried everything else, it can be very useful.
Also, don't be afraid to do another 40-50% water change. Bettas do not appreciate any ammonia in their water. And make sure you always test the PH before adding your fish back into the water. Betta fish prefer a PH of 6.5-7 (slightly acidic)
I hope this helps, goodluck :)
Thanks for the advice! I read somewhere that warmer water might help kill off the bacteria causing fin rot which is why I increased the temperature a bit. Usually I leave it about the same.

I'll try the salt again for now. Is bettafix a decent medixation? People seem to be mixed about it and I don't want to make him worse

Your right about warmer water being beneficial for treating fungal infections. You can increase the temperature up to 86 F as long as it's done over a period of time. A couple of degrees every 3 hours would be best. Increase in temperature mixed with the addition of salt to an aquarium is a good natural way to treat fungal infections.
As for the bettafix, I've never used it myself but different fish react differently to medications. I think as long as your fish isn't showing increased signs of lethargy after using bettafix, it should be okay.

I did a 50% water change and the ammonia is better, and I added salt to the new water I added. He seems happier and more energetic. I'm going to keep using the salt and hold off on bettafix for now - it didn't seem to improve his mood much and it seems pretty strong. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom