Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sick bettas!

So 2 of my female bettas had white spots the day after they arrived from being shipped. I immediately quarantined them, and began an aquarium salt treatment per advise of someone on a Betta forum. But it seems to be getting worse! So I'm looking for second opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2439790402.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	30803   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2779873887.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	30804  

Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that is horrible!!! Are the bettas together? It looks like a bite from the pic, and that is flesh hanging out.

I would get some Melafix/Pimafix and keep the water SUPER clean. I am not sure if that will ever heal up though. Have you contacted the shippers and let them know what's going on?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

They were together with 3 others, but now they are in separate QT. It was just a flat white spot that has grown to that. I was advised to add more salt. I have and now the white is a fleshy red. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but they seem more active. If it's a bad thing, I'll head to the store I guess. And no I have not contacted them.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and the person who's helping on the betta forum thinks it's columnaris if anyone has more suggestions for that.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a really great article on columnaris: Columnaris (Flexibacteria); Aquarium/Pond Treatment, Prevention; Fungus, Saprolegnia

Whatever it is, it seems to be eating the flesh.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've read all the articles. I just can't find anything that shows what it looks like healing. But if it's worse tomorrow I think I have to make the executive decision. At least for the worse of the two.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, not sure what to suggest just wanted to wish you luck!
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! It's seems the one in the picture is septic, and she's nose down and can't straighten herself out. I'm going to buy alcohol now But the better of the 2 has not turned red. Her still white spots are getting smaller! I can officially say columnaris 1 Jami 1. I don't really like to tie, but it's better than a total loss.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nippyfish
Oh wow. There are virulent strains of columnare but this looks, to me, like a wound (bite?) or a flesh-eating bacteria (columnare can cause tissue to die). Not that I've ever heard of the later infecting a betta. (I don't see why it couldn't, it affects larger fish this way) If it were my fish I'd look for a wide spectrum antibiotic that treats both gram-negative and gram-positive infections. I'm conservative with antibiotics but after seeing the photo... it seems appropriate.

Tags
betta, bettas, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com