sick black moor :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
About two Weeks ago my black moor (Tweedle-Dee) had developed a white spot on its body near its top fin, seeing as how it was in a tank with a fantail goldfish (who seemed to like to pick on it) I figured the spot was from being "bullied" by my fish, so I separated it into a ten gallon tank by itself in hopes it would heal. A week went by and still no change, no better or worse. Well about four days ago the spot started to get bigger, within just an hour it was infecting its fins. After doing some research and dealing with the rude crew at wet Web media.com I came to the conclusion that it was fin rot. This I have not dealt with and know nothing about. I'm afraid there is not much time for my little fishy, what do I do? I've tried a little salt water as suggested, I've tried the medicine for fin rot, tank cleaning

View attachment 82375

. And nothing is working my poor fish is getting worse!

I have not tested my levels today so I don't know what they are at, but besides my water being a little hard everything had been doing fine. My tank is cycled and I've been doing about 75% water changes every two to three days I wasn't for sure what amount of salt to add because all the research I did everyone suggested a different answer so I was putting in about a teaspoon

Hi Butterfly koi
Keep the faith my friend. You and I are dealing with the same issue. I am no expert and have just this last week learned about fin rot. My suggestion or what I am doing is to be really aggressive with water changes. I am doing 90% every other day. I am adding API aquarium salt one table spoon per five gallons and started prima fix. I also started medicated food anti bacterial. I am seeing slight improvement very slight redness has gone away. Don't give up and be hopeful. Biggie is my favorite fish as well. He's always in the special needs category for me.We can do this together.

Your poor little guy! What exactly are the meds you have used so far? Do you have a decent lfs or a Petsmart in your area that carries meds?

For fin rot I would look at trying some melafix, someone chime in if I'm wrong but that stuff has done wonders on fin rot for me in the past. Walmart carries it and it smells like tea tree oil... probably because it is.

I am so sorry about Tweedle Dee! :( If you encounter any problems in the future, please ask for help as soon as possible- most problems can be treated but sometimes quick action is necessary. I would also consider stocking some basic meds for goldies to have on hand for future use.

Thanks, question though, how to I clean the tank so there isn't any bacteria left from my fish. Also I had a sucker fish in with it will he be ok? And there were live pants in the tank its everything infected? will the plants carry the nasties with them even though I clean the tank?

Hmm...the issue is we dont know exactly what your fish had & I suspect it was a serious infection because it killed him fairly quickly. Do you have somewhere else to home the sucker fish (not with goldies) if your going to clean this tank?

Clean the tank & any decor/filter with a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts hot water) & rinse well with dechlorinated water & let air dry. I would dip the plants in a 5% bleach solution (1 part bleach to 19 parts water) as well. Briefly dip plants & then rinse in some dechlorinated water. I would dispose of the filter media & replace it with new stuff & move a bit of cycled media from another tank (if you have extra). Hope this helps!

Don't feel bad mumma its not your fault, now that I know what to look for I can keep an closer eye out for it so if it does happen again I know what to do

Back
Top Bottom