sick black neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just added a whole bunch of plants to my 20G long tank and out of the blue, one of my black neons started looking kind of bad. It could be just stress but I'm worried about him. Here are the best pictures I could get. He looks "scaly" and not smooth like usual. It looks like there might be some white poofy stuff near his gills. I can see it on the side the pics are on but it's more on the other side. Is there anything I can do for him?

blackneon01.jpg

blackneon02.jpg

There are a lot of people who could probably help. For now keep an eye on until some experts come. Help comes to those who wait!!
Sorry I couldn't be of much a help!!!!
Beginner Fish Lover

Wow, thank you for the quick help...

After a quick google of dropsy, I don't think that's it. He doesn't appear to have any of the symptoms of dropsy except for the "scaly" part, and after a closer look they really don't go outward, they just appear tattered a bit on his top and near his gills, particularly his left. This is the best picture of his left side I can get quickly.

blackneon03.jpg

That fluffy white stuff I talked about earlier might have been a little inaccurate. He looks actually a lot better after 10 minutes, and I think it's just the way the light hits him. He appears fatigued and stressed and doesn't have that smooth "shine" he usually has. Any thoughts now that I've probably confused you more?

I'll run ammonia and nitrite tests to be sure, but I'm assuming they're both zero.

Ran the tests:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: about 30 ppm

I usually do a 25% or so PWC every weekend, although it's been two weekends since I did my last one -- life outside of fish-tank-world was catching up with me. That explains the nitrates. None of the other fish are showing any signs of stress. I really really hope I'm just being a good, over-paranoid dad. He's looking even better as I write this.

The tank was exactly as it said in the "My Tanks" up until around 6 today when my shipment of plants and RCS arrived. Not sure what exactly was in there since mgamer threw in a few extras, I was planning on posting some ID threads and pics tomorrow morning. It was then that he started to seem stressed. Just a bit ago I added some dry ferts and Excel, but that was after I noticed this.

This is the same fish that was playing in the air bubbles in this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...neon-tetra-playing-in-air-bubbles-126765.html

He could have just been a little stressed from the plants and your hands being in there moving stuff around. I would do a few water changes, and maybe feed them some boiled, de-shelled peas, which might help with the bloating.
30ppm of nitrates is not bad, but I like to keep mine at 20. :)

I aim for 20 ppm nitrates also :) I'm not exactly graceful with planting those things, and everybody seemed a little stressed. I just fed the tank as usual tonight. he's eating, which is good. He doesn't seem that bloated and I don't have peas on hand tonight, but I'll try and pick some up on the way home tomorrow. It's this fish's personality to get stressed a little easier than most, but he was looking pretty fatigued earlier to I wanted to make sure. I'll update tomorrow morning, but it's my bedtime so I think I'm going to sleep. Thanks so much for all your help.

He was playing in the air bubbles this morning. He doesn't look any worse than last night, but the lights were off and I might have confused them when I looked at them this morning. He appears to be doing OK...

Back
Top Bottom