Sick blood parrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTIV02

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently had a pictus catfish die due to ich. Now my blood parrot fish is acting funny. He lays on his side at the bottom of the tank, he is a pale color, and sometimes he sits vertical against some plants or under my decor. He looks fine doesn't appear to be infected with ich. And he is breathing normally. I have cleaned the tank, increased the temp, increased aeration, and added aquarium salt to the tank. I also replaced the carbon filter after the fish that was infected died.He only moves when I feed them or move the decor around and is disturbed. Even that he barely eats.

The weird thing is, the other blood parrot is perfectly fine. And so are the rest of the fish. None show any signs of being sick.

I have a 60 gallon tank.

The water parameters are:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0 (my tank is cycled btw, the old tank they lived in for about 1/2 a year also had nitrates of 0. I've had that tank for over 2 yrs and it always had fish in it)

Not sure what to do. I don't have a hospital tank and can't get one. He is still small, not even 4" long. And since they cost $25 bucks a piece I can't afford to just go get another one.

How are you testing your water, with strips or a high quality liquid kit? It's impossible to have zero nitrates in a established aquarium(unless your heavily planted).

Since it sounds as there are no visual symptoms I'd start with some large daily water changes of 50-60% for a few days and go from there.

I am using the API master test kit. I don't know how but I've only seen nitrates when I was cycling the tank. Like I said with my old tank, which I've had of over 2 yrs, I have never seen nitrates in that tank. Yes it was heavily planted but it was artificial plants. I've never had real plants. Is there anyway I can get nitrates w/o harming my fish.

I'll try the water changes. Thanks.

And for some reason he still acts sick, but he gets his color back during the day and after I feed him. I think it's weird.

Medicine

Does he have a bloated stomach? White dots? If you have no plants or inverts I would quickly dose a Broad range medicine. Some time ich can be hard to spot inspect him closely. The way that he is swimming vertically could be an indicator of swim bladder problems. That could be easily fixed by feeding him steamed and shelled peas. From my experience this has saved alot of my fish. Like stated above keep up on your water changes. Good luck!

Are you sure you are doing the test right? Is your tank heavily planted?

No he doesn't have a bloated stomach and there are no white dots. He's not swimming vertical, he sits up against the tank wall vertically. Some times he'll swim on his side. I'll try giving him some peas. I have some Ich Attack, is that what u mean? I've added that as directed on the bottle. I also have but some aquarium salt in there. If this is not the type of medication you are talking about, could you please give me an example so I could go get some.

I am pretty sure I'm using the kit right. The plants in the tank are plastic. There is 9 but its a big tank, so it the plants are over taking.

Also I just did a 50% water change. He seems a little better but like I said before he acts better in the day. At night is when he seems the worst. But now he isn't pale anymore and he is hanging out with my other blood parrot in there cave and he is acting fine. He doesn't look sick at all.

How often are doing water changes? It's impossible for you to have all zero reading. Something is wrong. I would start with a 50% water change right away.

Usually I do a water change once a week. But now that he is sick, I have done everyday for the past couple days (as directed previously)

Some what. Only a little though. During today's water change I took all the decor out a rinsed them off in hot water. I did a light gravel vac through out the tank. Hopefully that will help. He seemed to be doing fine when I got done. But he is worse at night and fine during the day so I'll see how he does tonight.

Now that is night time, I have checked on him. Like I said, he is acting sick again. But not as bad as the last couple of nights. He is hiding in his cave with his friend (my other blood parrot). He usually is pale and his gills are a pinkish color. But that's what usually happens at night. He sits there (usually on his side) and does nothing execpt move his fins. But tonite he isn't as pale as he has been recently. He isn't on his side but his gills are still a light pinkish color (not as bright as usual). He seems a little better tonite. Still not moving around much though.

Any tips on what to do next?

Thanks for the help

Hey guys,

I'd just thought I'd let you know that he is happy and healthy again. Thanks for all the help!! :)

Good to hear your fish is doing well. In regards to the NO3 test, if you're using the AP master test kit make sure you shake the living hell out of the second solution. Gently tipping it back and forth doesn't do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom