Sick bristlenose.. help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessl17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a baby bristlnose Pleco that I have had for about a month now and this morning when I woke up my temperature in my tank had dropped to about 71-72. The tank is usually between 78-80 so this is quite a significant drop. The Pleco is the only one that seems to be effected. He keeps flipping upside down and is jumping almost like he’s having a seizure is what it looks like and then he flops over. I took him out As soon as I found him and put him on my qt tank which is 80. He seems to be breathing really heavy and I don’t know what to do to help him. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. It has been a rough week in the fish world for me?

Attachments

• 3662AA3F-586F-4467-886F-441F61809DC1.jpg
    3662AA3F-586F-4467-886F-441F61809DC1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 194D1B5B-0AC0-457F-B921-DF6E751B8284.jpg
    194D1B5B-0AC0-457F-B921-DF6E751B8284.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 55
  • 3440DC79-79E1-4B4B-83CE-8D07242EFEBB.jpg
    3440DC79-79E1-4B4B-83CE-8D07242EFEBB.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 60
I wouldn't think the temperature alone is what is effecting him.
What is your waterchange schedule?
Can you test the water for ammonia ,nitrite ,and nitrate?

Yes I can. Today is my weekly water change day on all my tanks so I usually do it after that but I will do it now and get back to you

Ok so just tested the water and definitely have some problems in that area as well... ph is 7.0 ammonia is reading 0-0.25 range nitrite is 0 and nitrate has spiked betweeen 20-40ppm can’t tell exactly where it’s at but it’s up there. I will test again after I do water change and let you know what it is then ��

I wouldn't think the temperature alone is what is effecting him.
What is your waterchange schedule?
Can you test the water for ammonia ,nitrite ,and nitrate?

Just did water change and tested the water again now reading are
PH: 7.0
Ammonia:0-0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

I feel so bad he looks like he is having convulsions I don’t know what to do or if there is anything I can do?? Anyone have any ideas??

Although you have a little bit of ammonia and based off the other readings I don't think this would make your pleco behave this way.

Although you have a little bit of ammonia and based off the other readings I don't think this would make your pleco behave this way.

Yea I don’t think it’s my water parameters. I faithfully do water changes 25-30% once a week. Nothing has changed in my tank besides the heater wacking out and my temp dropping down to 70ish. But I have had him in my QT tank for prob 6 hrs now and while I have noticed the last couple hours he’s staying upright he’s still breathing really heavy and looks like he’s convulsing. I don’t know what to do for him :(

Do you think you have another fish in the tank fighting or harassing him? All you can really do is keep an eye on him in the QT and see if he gets better

Do you think you have another fish in the tank fighting or harassing him? All you can really do is keep an eye on him in the QT and see if he gets better

I have never seen anyone even bother with him before that’s why it’s so weird to me. He was perfectly fine yest I was just trying to catch him a couple days ago to move him to my bigger tank and couldn’t catch him so decided I would wait till I did my water change and just get him then. I can’t figure it out and nothing really explains why. I’m so confused ?*♀️

Jess
If the problem isn't the water chemistry or an extreme sudden change in temperature then the only other option is a bug. Maybe the convulsive type movements observed are the BN flashing to scratch off parasites, or it can't swim normally due to an internal bacteria infection.
I couldnt determine anything from the pics. Need more info.

Looks like he's been nipped on the top fin, when I zoomed in closer I noticed that. And if you put him in warmer water too fast he's probably going through shock. Try to feed him. And keep the lights low, or off. But keep a close eye on him. If you have some stress coat I'd try some of that.

Jess
If the problem isn't the water chemistry or an extreme sudden change in temperature then the only other option is a bug. Maybe the convulsive type movements observed are the BN flashing to scratch off parasites, or it can't swim normally due to an internal bacteria infection.
I couldnt determine anything from the pics. Need more info.

Well the temperature did drop 10 degrees. I don’t know how big that is but my tanks always stay right around 78-80. I don’t know what other info to give I’ve given everything I know. And none of the other fish in the tank seem to be effected?

Looks like he's been nipped on the top fin, when I zoomed in closer I noticed that. And if you put him in warmer water too fast he's probably going through shock. Try to feed him. And keep the lights low, or off. But keep a close eye on him. If you have some stress coat I'd try some of that.

Yes but that didn’t happen in the tank it happened when I moved him in the QT tank. I have a Cichlid in there and he went after him. But there separated now. I did put half an alge wafer in there for him and added some stress coat. He seems like he’s not convulsing so much now but he still hasn’t eaten anything from what I can see. I just don’t get what happened he was perfectly fine 2 days ago

Fish can usually take 2 degree drops over the course of every hour with no problems. The pleco can take lower temps so I don't believe it's the lower temperature your tank got to. As was posted, I think maybe a drop to fast or he's been nipped and harassed. If he is sick you will have to wait and see what develops unless someone here knows what could cause this at this early a stage.

Yes but that didn’t happen in the tank it happened when I moved him in the QT tank. I have a Cichlid in there and he went after him. But there separated now. I did put half an alge wafer in there for him and added some stress coat. He seems like he’s not convulsing so much now but he still hasn’t eaten anything from what I can see. I just don’t get what happened he was perfectly fine 2 days ago
Have you added anything new to the tank he was in? Maybe some driftwood or new fish. I know that nip probably didn't help him. I'd keep the light low and let him column down. He's stressed for sure. And have some air bubbles going for him.

Have you added anything new to the tank he was in? Maybe some driftwood or new fish. I know that nip probably didn't help him. I'd keep the light low and let him column down. He's stressed for sure. And have some air bubbles going for him.

No nothing new has been added to the tank. No new fish. Yea I saw him do it and was so mad. But I guess I should have known better than to put them together was just trying to figure out what to do. I do have the lights off and I don’t have any bubbles going in there and don’t have a 2 way to connect to my pump so I will have to get one in the morning. Thanks for your help

Fish can usually take 2 degree drops over the course of every hour with no problems. The pleco can take lower temps so I don't believe it's the lower temperature your tank got to. As was posted, I think maybe a drop to fast or he's been nipped and harassed. If he is sick you will have to wait and see what develops unless someone here knows what could cause this at this early a stage.

Yea I am not sure when or how fast it happened but I know when I figured it out that’s where it was at. And the water was cold.. I don’t believe he’s been nipped or being harassed but he did get nipped when I moved him. I don’t know hopefully he makes it through the night. Thanks for your help

So I just noticed this on one of them.. any idea what it is?? Tried to get a few pictures so you could see it best..

Attachments

• F8A5B527-3EDC-474A-84E7-14A5EF5BBC06.jpg
    F8A5B527-3EDC-474A-84E7-14A5EF5BBC06.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 636803A5-B5F9-4897-B877-E01360ABFBA3.jpg
    636803A5-B5F9-4897-B877-E01360ABFBA3.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 14910E3F-551C-4ED9-BB99-7FD8C07A98FF.jpg
    14910E3F-551C-4ED9-BB99-7FD8C07A98FF.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom