Sick Cardinal Tetra!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water Testing
KH 4 and GH 5 (both are up, which is probably because I added some aragonite sand to my filter to try to stabilize pH after the swing)
pH 7.6
Ammonia .25 ppm (it's odd to me that this is showing up because I cycled the tank for a much higher ammonia rate than what is my tank should be currently producing)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 ppm

Could it be a reaction to chloramines? I have been using api tapwater conditioner to treat my tank. I just noticed that the dosage I was using doesn't treat chloramines. I don't know if I have chloramines or not....but could that be a possibility?
You should be able to search your water supplier to see if they are using chlorine or chloramine?
Either of the meds you have could be used without issue IMO.
I would not mix them and have to say they are a shot in the dark but it seems like something should be tried.
I would dose the rid ich first for a broader chance of killing an unseen external parasite.
That is just me though many will not medicate if they are not certain.
We all have to play DR. sometime?

You should be able to search your water supplier to see if they are using chlorine or chloramine?
Either of the meds you have could be used without issue IMO.
I would not mix them and have to say they are a shot in the dark but it seems like something should be tried.
I would dose the rid ich first for a broader chance of killing an unseen external parasite.
That is just me though many will not medicate if they are not certain.
We all have to play DR. sometime?

Well, I just looked it up and I do have chloramines....if this is the reason my fish have been dying... :banghead:

Would you still recommend trying the Rid Ich in light of this new information?

Last edited:
Looks like my mistake in dosing water conditioner was the culprit after all. I dosed the proper amount yesterday and today my cardinals look like they were never sick at all.No deaths in the community tank today. If they look this good tomorrow I may add the cardinals back into the community tank. Only two left. :(

Sigh. I can't believe I missed that and killed a bunch of fish. Showing my amateur status I guess.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I'm glad this is looking good.
I have never seen where you need 5 times the conditioner for chloramine before?:confused:
I have always used nova aqua(kordon)/amquel,or seachem prime.
No amateur mistake to but a good catch by you!(y)
Good luck and hope you can nejoy more,I love my cards and rummies!:dance:

Yeah, I hadn't heard of different dosage requirements before either...the bottle I have says 2 drops per gallon and then later down says 6 drops per gallon if water has chloramines. :ermm:

Thanks! I liked the Cardinals a lot. They are really beautiful and fun to watch.

Well, I have a cardinal that is looking sick again. This time the symptoms are different. I assume it might have gotten sick due to the stress of poor water quality?

It is bloated and it looks like some scales are sloughing off? I see some small white "flakes" along the sides of it's body. It is swimming at the top of the tank and has very little color. Also, it looks like its eyes may have gotten bigger.

Quick Google search says it could be dropsy does that seem likely?

Treatment options?

Dropsy is a bacterial symptom more then disease.
Unfortunately often fatal .
By the time the "symptoms" are recognized internal organ damage is often done.
The scales white spots sound like columnaris and is also a bacterial issue.
Kannamycin and Furan in combo are the chosen antibiotic treatment at this time.
I use PP for most issues like this if possible.
link on columnaris with sub links to PP.
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Thanks for the links. I will check them out. PP=Prazi Pro?

In the meantime, the cardinal died. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• 20150721_162802.jpg
    20150721_162802.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom