Sick Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rasta tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a bumble bee cichlid who looks extra chubby, no protruded scales like i've heard with drobsy or bloat, just extra fat. Not acting abnormal at all, eating ok etc. been this way for about two weeks, no change. Could it be about to lay eggs or something?

and a green terror cichlid who is way to skinny. always has white stringy poo, doesnt eat much, not to active. he just recently showed signs of ich which is in heat treatment but he has been skinny and not eating well since i got him months ago with no signs of ich. Diagnosis please!!

The bumble bee cichlid may have bloat or is constipated. The green terror sounds like it has an internal parasite. For the bumble bee try feeding some frozen peas, nuke for a few seconds and skin them and hopefully that will rule out constipation. For the green terror try feeding some medicated food for internal parasites, Jungle makes many types of medicated foods.

A bit of background on your tank would be helpful with proper diagnosis. That is why I didn't recommend any meds at all. What size tank? What tank mates? What are your parameters? Water change schedule and amount each time? Anything new to the tank? What are you feeding them?

tank stats

125g, fluval 404, power head, air stone, 2x300w heaters. tank has been up over two years but i moved 3 months ago so tank was emptied then filled, kept subtrate and filter wet so new cycle was minimal. dont know exact water parameters but i took a sample to lfs and they said its good.

I have a texas cichlid, peacock cichlid, bumble bee cichlid (bloated), green terror (skinny), tiger oscar, albino tiger oscar, 5 tiger barbs, orange spot pleco, moon crab, red ear slider turtle.

Im treating ich right now with the heat, its working well. Most of the ich was on the green terror, but only in the last two weeks. hes been skinny for 3 months since i got him.

Try the medicated food, even if they don't have parasites it won't harm them. As for the possible bloat, do you feed flakes, pellets, bloodworms? Veggies?

Do they sink or do they float? If they float they make be gasping air when they eat. I would try some epsom salts and some peas for starters and see if that eases the swelling in the one fish. Being that it is a 125 gal if you need to medicate it would be best to QT as it would be expensive to treat a 125 gal.

Back
Top Bottom