Sick Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fresh fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Pretty sure my fish have ich. It Just started and ive been reading some threads on it and i got the temp up to 83 but i havent seen nething on here if chemicals or salt treatments will hurt them. They are african ciclids all about 2 and a half inches in size. or will just the heat increase work

Welcome to AA!! Yes, heat alone should work treating ich. No chemicals necessary. Gradually increase the heat to 86-88f. Add extra aeration as warm water holds less oxygen. Do water changes with decent gravel vacs every other day (daily if theres any issue with your parameters). Maintain the heat for one week after the last spot is gone then gradually return it to normal. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

I'm battling ich now. Day 4, the fish that is showing looks ALOT better already. This is what did.

Heat to 86 degrees

Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons every day. (Let salt dissolve in cup before pouring into tank)

Every 2nd day I do a 50% water change and add salt for ONLY amount if water taken out.

Just keep on things to see how it goes.

Good luck!! My guys was real bad when I first saw him and now is looking great!!

I will continue this for 10-14 days.

So its only been 3days since i joined aa n i already am loviin the advice thani u guyz so much already cn good activity in the tabk but ima still rock the temp for one more week to make sur.

Yea stay on top of it and good luck! Seems we're fighting the fight together. Are you using salt also or just heat?

Goin with just the heat kuz im so worried that the salt or meds is gonna b worse on them but im so new to this im worried that i shoulda went with less exp fish feel real lost right now

But all the ones left have no spots on them right now so im hopin for the best hope urs r doin good too bro

But all the ones left have no spots on them right now so im hopin for the best hope urs r doin good too bro

Salt won't hurt and actually helps them. It's not bad at all for them. Unfortunately my fish have gotten worse but I read its normal worse before better I hope!! Fingers crossed.

K hop they do think i kought it before it got bad u got ciclids too jw

Back
Top Bottom