Sick Cichlids...Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well last week i treated my Cichlids with Maracyn for Fin Rot. They all got better, but yesterday they started acting very weird. All the fish in the tank are having what appear to be convulsions. As they are swimming or staying still they shake. Not constantly, but every few seconds they convuls and then keep swimming. Does anyone know what this is or how i can treat it. It seems like something nurological. Thanx in advance.

What is your set up like? And what of sort of cichlids are we talking about?

If I'm not mistaken, during mating, they will sometimes curl their body's and shake.

I have African cichlids in a 72g bow front. I have crushed coral on the bottom and large rock structures in the tank. They do shake as part of mating, but this isn't mating. Every fish in the tank is doing it.(10 fish) It started out with one of them a few days ago and yesterday they were all doing it and these are fish that have been together for months. It seems that the fish can't control it. Some of them are also becoming discolored. I don't know if this is from running into things or if they are just becoming discolored due to the illness.

I tested the water a few times this week, everything is right were it should be. I can't figure out what this could be. I am really stumped.

Is it possible a chemical has gotten into the tank--household cleaner, anything like that? After each water change, you added enough dechlor (I forgot that step once :oops:)? I recommend 20-30% PWC daily or every other day in case something is in the tank's water. In addition, add new charcoal.

I haven't added new water within the last week and i always use water conditioner when adding water. No chemicals have gotten into the tank that i know of. I am going to do some water changes just in case, but is there any viruses or parasites that can cause these symptoms. Oh also the water is treated with coppersafe monthly to kill external parasites.

When threating your tank with medicines, you should use charcoal to remove the medicines from the water after treatment (like Menagerie suggested)+ do some extra daily partial water changes, since you've added something that is not supposed to be in there (That's just a gut feeling of mine, don't really know if it's necesairy)

I kind of suspect the same thing as Billsgate. How much medicine went into the tank and have ther been any water changes since then? This definitely sounds like either a problem of too much medicine or a foreign substance somehow entering the tank. I once had a hole in my roof without my knowledge(very small) that leaked something into one of my tanks during a really bad rain. If it's not a medicine problem I would definitely look around for something weird like that which could be causing this. I'd definitely do a partial water change though no matter what.

I used the amount of medicine stated on the packaging which is one pill per 10g of water. After the five day medicating period i did change the charcoal, but not the water, and the medication period just ended yesterday, so the odd behavior started before before i was done medicating. Thats why i don't think it has anything to do with the medicine and i am 99% sure that nothing else got into the tank becaue the only opening in the top is where ithe filter is and that is an opening of just inches and the tank is in the basement with nothing above it to drip in. I have no clue wut is wrong, i am changing the water, but i have a bad feeling that i am going to be out a lot of $ cause all of these fish are on their way out.

Thanx a lot i'll check that out.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/stress.php
"Shimmy in fish looks like the fish is swimming fast but staying still. Shimmy is easy to spot, and if the fish is treated immediately, you can cure it & avoid more serious stress and disease.
I don't understand that link--not clear on how to treat.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/meds/medication18a2.html
"Stops Itching, Shakes and Shimmy
Helps prevent shimmy in livebearing fish, especially Mollies. Shimmy is characterized by fish staying in one position wagging from side to side. It is not a disease, but a stress-related symptom caused by poor aquarium conditions or the onset of disease.

Back
Top Bottom