Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Clown Loach

Hi,
I have a clown loach purchased from Petsmart about 2 weeks ago. (need I say more) Lol A few days ago I had a Nitrate spike because my tank is over crowded for the moment, just until I finish cycling my new 38g tank.
Of the 3 loachs that I have, only one has a problem with what looks like to me is fin rot? His fins are clamped and he looks stressed out and the back fin looks like it is shredded! I will post a picture, but you really cant see much. Any Ideas?
My filtration is Eheim ecco pro 2236 on a 15g tank, all water tests are within exceptable ranges, 7.0 PH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10ppm nitrate etc. My tank is over stocked at the moment but I do 25% water change daily if needed according to my API Master Test Kit! I am by no means a novice, I have had an aquarium for over 18 years! Thats why I dont understand why this little guy is so stressed out when the other fish are doing okay?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sick clown 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	54096

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sick Clown.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	54097

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be stressed out. OR other fish are nipping at him. What are his tank mates?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...IMO 38 gallons is too small for a clown loach.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #3

No problem, I knew that, but they are small right now. I am planing on setting up a 100g after I move in about 8mths. Im just being lazy by not wanting to try and move a 100g tank! Lol

I have 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 red Tetra. Im guessing they could be the culprets? He also has some white fuzz looking stuff, but it doesnt look like Ich. Its not spotty or salty looking like Ich. Could it be Velvet?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could be a variety of factors...I would try looking for the best meds possible for him then (sorry, I can't say, I don't really use meds )
Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #5

Yeah, Me either! None of my other fish are showing signs. Just incase it is Ich I have uped the temp and added the salt.

In all the years of fish keeping I havent seen many diseases. And when I have, Its been because of a new intro of new fish, plants etc...

Thanks for hittin me back, Best of Luck to you and yours!

Tags
clown, clown loach, ick, loach, nitrate spike, sick, sick clown loach, stressed fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com