Sick clown loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaclayton94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I might just be paranoid but my loaches might be sick.
Against my better judgement I picked up two clowns from a crowded bare bottom tank from my LFS. (Soon to get some more from somewhere else if I can figure this out)
The larger one seems to have faded colours, a very slight white haze over its whole body with what seems to be a red patch near its tail on both sides and rapid gill movement.

The smaller one seems better but has a very faded tail and reddish brown gills.

They are both swimming and eating normally as far as I can tell.
Is this cause for concern?

Tank parameters
28 degrees c
Ph 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15ppm

Fishes are with a black ghost knife as well so if its an infection or something then he would be susceptible too as this is also a scaleless fish and I don't want to lose my knife.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image-538556707.jpg
    image-538556707.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 93
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your clown loaches. The dominant clown loach will often have faded colours (sometimes referred to as 'graying out'), this is generally normal.

I'm not sure about the other symptoms you've described and I can't really see them in the photo you've taken.

Clown loaches prefer to be in groups, most people recommend a minimum of 5 clown loaches.

Maybe they are just stressed out in general from their trip from the wild to your tank. Give them lots of hiding places so they feel more secure.

Maybe try feeding them black worms to help improve their over all condition?

Hopefully someone else can provide advice on the other symptoms.

Last edited:
Tank is 220 L with plenty of hiding spaces. I'm getting more clowns and upgrading to at LEAST a 6x2x2 soon. Hopefully this fixes the problems I'm having.

Tank is 220 L with plenty of hiding spaces. I'm getting more clowns and upgrading to at LEAST a 6x2x2 soon. Hopefully this fixes the problems I'm having.

Yeah.. a bigger tank might help them. Especially with a BGK. You need at the very least a 125 gallon tank.

How are your clowns going? I too am looking to upgrade to a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and also getting more clowns.

Much much better since I added 2 more clowns, they are slow growers so I have plenty of time to save haha

Back
Top Bottom