Sick Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am worried that I am about to loose a couple of my CL and am looking for advice. They have all been in the current tank for over 3 years, healthy and happy.

Over the last several weeks one of the larger fish (6+ inches) has been acting weird, hanging out in a corner and laying on his back all the time. He never ventures around and will not fight a net or a big hand coming at it. Very unusual. Then about two weeks ago my smaller one joined him in the corner and they both hang out in the corner either on their side or upside down 90% of the time. The muster some energy to feed once a day, or at least make an attempt. The 3rd CL is active, alert and seems fine.

Nothing has changed, with acception of perhaps a few new plants over the last several months. Well, I guess I also removed all Mollies and Guppies some weeks back as they were getting out of control. 72 gallon tank, w/ neons, rummy nose, a couple gourami's and a rainbow shark.

I bought the only parasite food I could find at the pet store, but it floats, which means they do not eat it. PH is around 7.4 - 7.6. Did a large water change, which woke them up for a few minutes. Not sure what else to try at this point. They sure don't seem like they are doing well.

Anyone else out there had similiar experience?

Advice appreciated.

Dan

hey Dan,

I'm pretty new here, but love them loachies, as that's whats mostly taking up my 55gal.

From what I've gleaned, reading and such, this doesn't sound good, a few months ago I lost 5 beautiful 8yr. old clowns because of pure ignorance, and have learned a little since that debacle.

How are your parameters? Have they been fluxuating?? These guys seem to be more suseptable to that yukkie ich than anyone else, even the ones I lost lingered for more than 4 days before I saw the spots from that crappy ich.

If they are already upside-down prepare for the worst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not to be a nay-sayer.................but.

Anyway,do some water changes and keep checking your trites and trates PH probably isn't as important, although they are sensitive to that if it fluctuates to drastically, mine are awsome at 7.8PH. Which is uncommonly high for clowns. Because of this forum I know that they will thrive even if your PH is higher than profiled.

Good luck Dan, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Deb

Do they have swollen bellies at all? No signs of ich? Keep doing the water changes as it perks them up. The fact that they are still eating some means not all is lost. If they are not showing any signs other than what you described I would think it is water parameters. What are your other parameters? Ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

I thought they would have died weeks ago, which is what has perplexed me. My 3rd clown is absolutely fine (so far), as are all other fish, which i also find odd. I just attached a pic. The big guy and the little guy take turns flipping over, but are always together in the corner. I believe I have had the smaller one for a couple of years and the larger one for 10+. I have been through ICK many times and see no symptoms that would lead me to believe this is the problem (ie which crap, other fish with spots, etc). No swollen stomachs or faded color, no signs of thinning or any other external sign of sickness. The temp is stable at around 78-80. Planted aquarium.

Tested the water just a minute ago. To be honest I rarely test it so I do not know if there have been any major fluxuations.

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
PH = 7.6ish
GH = around 100ppm

My KH test seems to never turn from orange to green (or whatever it is), not sure if this means it is off the chart or what. I stopped around 40 drops of solution.

Also, I do not have a Nitrate test, should i go pick on up?

I think I will do another water change. Is it worth using any water conditioner? I have EasyBalance for leveling out PH and KH, but not sure that this is the problem. I typically just use your typical water-change additive for slim coat, etc and a plant fertilizer.

Thanks!

Dan

Attachments

• dsc03515.jpg
    dsc03515.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 31
  • dsc03515.jpg
    dsc03515.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 46
The nitrate kit is a good addition, but if you keep up on water changes it should never be a problem. What kind of test kit are you using?

I would test your water daily over the course of a few days to see if they are flucuating. Also, test it in the early morning, and then in the evening. I am not an expert on planted tanks and pH swings, but with an unstable KH/GH and all that good stuff, it could be your problem.

Good luck.

I wouldn't mess with the ph and other paramaters. Stability is the most you can offer them. Regular water changes eliminate the ammonia, and nitrite and reduce the levels of nitrate. But a stable ph is far better IMO. They are beautiful fish and hopefully they will pull through this. The older guy you've had for over 10 years? it may be his time to go, he might just be getting old. If there are no obvious signs then there could be something affecting your water you are unaware of. Testing is a good step in eliminating that problem or proving it is the problem. I would not mess with PH, GH and KH and just stick to testing for those parameters and nitrites, ammonia and nitrates. Any swings in your parameters and you will most likely find that to be the cause of the clowns illness. Keep us posted.

I thought that with planted tanks, the pH, KH/GH can swing based on CO2 levels and all that(but I'm a bit unclear with the whole CO2 thing). With your recent addition of more plants, perhaps this could just be an issue. I agree with Zagz that you should not bother with altering these levels at all. That will just spell more trouble.

What type of dechlorinator are you using. I would recommend you use one that removes the chloramin and does not add anything to help with the fish's stress coats.

I found my loaches did not like stress coat. Made them breath funny and they got a bit lethargic and I did'nt not overdose either. You would have to really have a heavy hand to do that.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom