Sick cory cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my julii cory cats seems to be ill. He lives in a 55 gallon aquarium within a shoal of 6 julii cories. One of them has always stayed away from the rest and I assume it is the same one

Filter Fluval u4 internal

6 bleeding heart tetras
6 julii cory cats
3 zebra loaches
2 angelfish
4 cherry barbs
2 honey gouramis

Tanks has been set up for almost 3 months

Doing 30-40% pwc per week. Did one last saturday

They were all acclimated correctly but they have been in the tank for a month now

Ammonia 0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 5-10
Ph 7

They are on a sand sustrate and yet since I have got them he has lost his barbels and now has none left. He hangs around on his own sitting on a leaf and occasionally hovering in the middle of the tank completely randomly.

I have had them for a month so he is obviously not just settling in. He has no obvious signs of illness besides his seperation from the group and no barbels.

The water quality is fine and all of the other fish are fine

Is he ill? Could he be being bullied? Could he just be like this forever?

Thanks

Today there was something attatched to him, that appeared to be peeling off. Don't know what it is. His tail is bent slightly to one side as well

Here are some photos of him:

Attachments

• DSC00271.jpg
    DSC00271.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00267.jpg
    DSC00267.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00272.jpg
    DSC00272.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 163
Would it be an idea to get him a small tank set up, so he has no zebra loaches for food competition. I noticed one of my other cories has a small nip in it's fin, as does one of my angels which tends to suggest that something is being a bit nippy.

I could probably set up a small tank (really small) but would it stress him out too much? What about a large breeder net? Would that be way to stressful or unfair?

He seems to have become less active as the day has gone on :(

I think I have found the possible culprit :D (That is, if he is being bullied!) I have been watching my tank more closely today, and the zebra loaches appear to be nipping everything! At feeding time, they have been nipping my bleeding hearts, angelfish and cory cats, as well as each other. I guess it could be them, but if it was, they have beaten him up a bit! He looks quite faded and is lacking "Something"

I hope he gets better, but I don't feel that hopeful :(

I was just thinking that as I was reading up to your last post the zebras are the nippers I would setup a new tank for him or rehome the zebra loaches

Thanks

He is still going! I am taking the zebra loaches to the LFS later so hopefully, there will be no more bullying :D

Loaches are back at LFS, and I magaged to exchange them for something else! Fingers crossed he will recover :)

Back
Top Bottom