Sick dalmatian molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carls

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have 2 dalmatian mollies in a 5 gallon tank. One of them seems to be very sick. It's having trouble swimming and is often in a vertical position (head up). It also rarely uses its tail when it swims and seems to have a little orange on the tip of its top fin. I thought maybe it was swim bladder? Ive been trying to feed it peas but it wont eat any (so the other one eats most of them haha).

I bought an all-in-one treatment because the other fish seemed to have fungus on it which looks like it cleared up but there is now a white discoloration where the fungus was (is that normal?). The one that had the white fuzzy spot also seems to be almost twitching (i'm not sure if theres a term for it) which is a new thing, it just started.

Your Molly

Hello Carl...

The water chemistry in a very small tank will never be pure enough for a Molly. The chemistry changes too quickly and stress on the fish causes disease. These livebearers require pure water conditions at all times, which means a tank at least 20 gallons, even a quarantine tank and weekly water changes of at least half the tank water.

Mollys are brackish water fish. They need a trace of salt in the water for them to be healthy. A teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water.

They're fussy about what they eat. A combination of a little flaked, freeze dried and some frozen food is best.

B

Back
Top Bottom