Sick Dwarf Blue Gourami (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Kind of like Hyrules and his sick red one ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=73308 ) mine is also sick. I need to setup a place for him to quarentine and get better but I don't have a second tank setup. Not sure I can set one up without having to cyle it.

Here is the info:
I have a 26gal bowfront
I was about to break it down and make it a better planted tank with co and flourite and started seeing problems. I have not cleaned my filter in 6 months because everything has been so stable, however nitrates just went up and I think its that time.

There is a photo attached. He/She is a bit plump, having problems controlling himself in the current of the tank, and is breathing fast.

Posting now, and going to check my water. Then I am going to do a water change and find what I need to clean my Fluval 304.

BRB with chemical numbers.

Attachments

• sick_136.jpg
    sick_136.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 429
Hard to tell from here, but it looks like the scales are protruding from the side of the body. Meaning, they aren't flush, rather look like a pinecone. Am I right?

If so, your fish has dropsy. I'd go to your nearest store, as soon as possible, and get some meds. An antibiotic like Maracyn-Two would work, or you can use Jungle's Fungus Clear Tablets (which can be found at Wal-Mart if you have one nearby).

Dropsy is a side effect of an internal infection that causes the body to swell up with fluids.

HTH

Looks like dropsy to me as well. Get meds fast or it will surely die, rather quickly. Mine showed the same symptoms in the morning, and was dead by the evening, the same day! Unfortunately dropsy is a result of another type of infection, or disease, or internal failure.

This is a very difficult battle with infection to win. :cry:

I agree it sure looks like dropsy. Gourami's seem to be prone to it when conditions aren't to their liking. I found Jungle to be the better med IMO. Good luck and remember to remove any active carbon from your filter.

Nitrate 40+
Nitrite 0
PH 6
Ammonia 0-.25

I just did a 40% water change AFTER I did my tests. I took my two gouramis out in a container using the same water they were in while doing the water change. I put them back in after. To create less disruption for them. I also picked up Mardel Maracyn-Two...I thought these things disolved fast. They arnt. Anyway, I put 4 in. It says 2 per 10 gallons first day. I have 26 gal.

Well, I think the water change, and the medicine killed my fish. He was fine for a long time until I started screwing around with his environment.

He isnt dead but he is swimming upside down. I am am sure, he isnt trying out for the fish circus.

Sorry to hear about your gourami. Could have been you taking him out that stressed him out alot. The medicine sure would't hurt.

Like the others said too, Dropsy is a rather grave illness. Not many fish survive it.

Sorry to hear about your gourami. Unfortunately I have never successfully cured dropsy. It is a hard one to cure.

Back
Top Bottom