Sick Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
A couple day ago I noticed a white circle at the front of my DG's dorsal fin. It apeared to be under the skin and was the diameter of a pencil eraser, it also appeared to be under pressure. Last night and today I has appeared to erupt and is now above the skin and the coloration is white and red. I have started to treat with MCYN but am not sure if it is even the right medication. He is quarantine and there is a pleco in the tank so I want to get this right. I took pictures but he is very reclusive and of course, when I sat on the couch to write this he came out in the open. I hope they are adequate. I REALLY appreciate all help.

Attachments

• gourami1.jpg
    gourami1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 72
  • gourami2.jpg
    gourami2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 64
I don't mean to scare you, but hopefully it isn't Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause this.

I don't mean to scare you, but hopefully it isn't Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause this.

That's a issue with imports from southeast Asia, most LFS purchase from local breeders and wholesalers. Ive never seen a case locally.

Well I looked at some articles and saw some fish with similar simptoms, some people responding thought it was the virus and others thought it could be a wide variety of skin infections. The bottom line is that I cannot test for a condition. Really stinks. Think I am going to move my pleco to my new tank and suppliment with waffers and vegetables.

DGI is a terrible disease that is often fatal. It may start as a lesion on the body, and lead to wasting away of the fish, loss of color, loss of appetite, and likely death. There are not really any treatments, and in the later stages euthanasia may be the best option.

HOWEVER, your gourami may just have a sore. I don't really know what to tell you unless you know anything that may have done this. Maybe some kind of parasite. This is just what my mind jumped to first, but maybe someone that has seen this can be of some further assistance.

I guess you have some good LFS Hukit, there are hardly any local breeders in my area and I would say most of the fish in my town are from Asia.

Looks like a bactieral infection, any chance for closer pictures? I would try to keep the water pristine for a 3-7 days to start keeping a close eye on the area. Monitor the spot to see it if gets worse or spreads.

I think the virus personally is a over estimated from the Internet, the dwarf gourami is so overbreed that the stock is extremely weak. When the fish withers away and dies or a lesion is seen everyone yells VIRUS. I've personally never had good luck with DG, they start out healthy but take a turn for the worst and just wither away. Poor stock and overbreeding fish leads to health problems, just like German blue ram's, neon tetras and EBJD.

Last edited:
My water parameters are good, and I'll keep and eye on the area and try to get a better picture. Do you think its a good idea to move my pleco out for either case? Kind of stinks because I've only had him for about 4 months, I read that they may develop problems around the 5 - 6 month mark.

I wouldn't worry to much about the plec at this time, if it is a infection and meds would be needed then treat the both of them.

Cool, thanks. If I can get any clear pics I'll post them or send to the both of you. I appreciate the help.

I bet HUKIT is right, everything does get blown out of proportions. Just shows I don't have that much experience other than owning one for a few months.

Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom