Sick Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Louise Lee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been treating my poor DG for 5 days, and suddenly he took a turn for the worse. Started out with a swollen pimple-like lip, and one missing scale, and then got better, and now t his. Have been usin Mela-fix. Just got some medicated flakes in but she didn't eat any. Any ideas? It looks even worse now than when I took the pix.

sick dg

I will try to attach the pictures now. Today I rearranged my tanks, so only the dwarfs and 1 swordtail are in that tank. The sword has a little white area as well so am treating them all together. Sorry...they came out sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 82
I had dwarf Gurami and one was ok if the water was really good quality. More than one and it was death really quickly. They fight hard when the lights are off. Need a huge tank for more than one. What size is yours and how long has it all been set up for?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sick DG

Right now they are in the 10 gallon incubation/sick tank. I will be moving them to a 20 gallon or perhaps the 36 gallon tank when they mend. Do you think it could be from fighting.....Iknow it is a small tank, but don't want to put them with other fish until this stuff is cleared up.
P.S. There is only one male and 3 females....which was the suggestion from the breeder.

Last edited:
10g really is a bit small. Territorial and the constant stress doesnt go well. Really hard to keep less fish in a big tank, but a must. I want more fish all the time, and its not easy to keep what you have at optimum.

Dwarf Gouramis

So true! It's like an addiction. I love the DGs and am looking for a bigger tank. Went to PetSmart today and found a nice 36 gallon, but need to wait for payday! Also, I already have 3 tanks going...actually 4 if you count the 5 gal. glo fish tank my daughter left behind. Sure don't like the idea of yet another tank, but if I want to keep the fish, guess I have to.
My DG is worse today. The breeder told me to take him out and hold him and put the medication right on the wound, which I did. Her face is raw, like something is eating it. Poor baby. I'm thinking a fungus but he seems to think it is just from fighting or running into something. She's looking so miserable tho, I'm wondering if a mercy killing might be in store....will give it a few more days.

Hi, not sure how it went but i just gave one of my small tanks to a mate. 7 is enough, and it sure gets away quickly. Should really have 3 tanks and a fry tank in my appartment. No power outlets left in the whole place! Anyway, i just had a neon tetra get a crooked spine from no where, (maybe my fighter got him, which is not how he has normally acted with them. Maybe at feeding time) and after aggonising for a week with it nearly dead, i thought putting him in the freezer was the nicest way to put him out of his pain. The worst part of fish keeping after all the effort to try to make them happy.

Hi, not sure how it went but i just gave one of my small tanks to a mate. 7 is enough, and it sure gets away quickly. Should really have 3 tanks and a fry tank in my appartment. No power outlets left in the whole place! Anyway, i just had a neon tetra get a crooked spine from no where, (maybe my fighter got him, which is not how he has normally acted with them. Maybe at feeding time) and after aggonising for a week with it nearly dead, i thought putting him in the freezer was the nicest way to put him out of his pain. The worst part of fish keeping after all the effort to try to make them happy.

I believed the same thing about the freezer method at one point. I tried it on one fish and he was out before the water even got to freezing temperature. Turns out they can feel the ice crystals forming on them.

Clove oil is really the only painless humane method I'm aware of.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Sick dg

How does the clove oil work and where do u get it? My poor dg suffered way too long. Thing is she looked improved one day and worse the next so I kept hoping, and she died a slow death. Awful. I got a 30 g tank and put the other three in it. I am treating with melafix and pimafix and medicated fish flakes. One of the females has a red spot on cheap and both have grayish spot on head lips possibly skittle swollen. Just hope they don't get worse.

There are two perfectly humane ways to "mercy kill" a fish
1. Clove oil, this is my favored choice but not everybody has it on hand
2. Putting the fish in ALREADY freezing water. DO NOT PUT IT IN TANK WATER THEN THE FREEZER. That will cause ice crystals to form, but putting it in 34 degree water is a quick painless death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Gourami #2 - Died this morning

The second female died this morning. She went faster than the other one. I was thinking of eauphanizing(sp?) her today, but she went on her own.

The other female and male are not getting any better. They are slowly showing more symptoms. I have been treating he tank with pimafix and melafix and giving them medicated flakes, but, I think the disease is incurable.

Sounds like the DG disease to me....all the same symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom