Sick/Dying Fancy Tail Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arok2092

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just noticed him like this today so whatever is wrong with him is working fast. His upper lip seems to be weird. Like, there's some triangular thing sticking up from his upper lip. It seems like its part of his skin, not necessarily a growth. It almost appears to be a rupture but I can't tell.

Also, his skull in general seems like its going in. I don't know how to describe it exactly but it doesn't seem sticking out and round like a skull should, but depressed in somehow.

Right now he's having a hard time handling any current. I'm keeping my filter on but have turned off the air pump so he doesn't get blown all over.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Hi Arok! Can you post a pic or two so we can see what is going on here? How do your parameters look? Is he eating at all? Floating/sinking? Any other unusual symptoms such as red spots or veining? Anything else you can think of that may better help us to figure out what is happening here?

i don't have goldfish but posting a picture of your fish would help. also test your water (ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites) and post results. what size tank and how long has it been set up? what other fish are in the tank if any? posting the answers to these questions will help determine what's wrong. there are many knowledgeable goldfish keepers on this site. i'm sure someone will help.

i see jlk has already responded. good luck:flowers:

I will supply water parameters in the morning. Here are the best pictures I could get. Notice the white spot near his lips, even holding him I couldn't tell what it was, but I don't think it's a fungus. Could be wrong though.

Attachments

• 2013-12-10 20.23.51.jpg
    2013-12-10 20.23.51.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2013-12-10 20.25.43.jpg
    2013-12-10 20.25.43.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 2013-12-10 20.27.32.jpg
    2013-12-10 20.27.32.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2013-12-10 20.27.39.jpg
    2013-12-10 20.27.39.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 82
Let us know how your numbers look when you can!

Thank you for the pics! He looks like a little lionhead though he may possibly be a cross. I am not quite sure what you are referring to with an indentation on his head? It actually looks like he is just starting the wen growth process. Can he close his mouth fully and eat normally? Any changes today?

He was dead this morning. I expected it honestly. Now I just want to know if what he had was contagious or not.

Oh my goodness... I am so sorry :(

I honestly am not sure if what he had was contagious as I honestly am not sure what it was. The fact that he became ill and died very quickly suggests a very serious bacterial infection as this is the only cause that would be so quickly lethal. Do you have other fish in this tank?

yes, we got two more goldfish in there. And one unfortunately has started to slow down and seem a little unhealthy.

Is it possible that it's the food? I've been using the same can for about 8 months now. I'll post my tanks parameters tomorrow.

Toss the food as a precaution. I think most foods only last a few months after opening but I go through bags of food in just a few weeks so this is not something I worry about often.

Let us know your parameters look when you have a chance and I would start doing 50% wcs daily as a precaution even if your numbers seem ok. Does the fish that appears to be slowing down have any symptoms?

Water Parameters:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I have no idea what is going on here. I have purchased my goldfish from at least 4 different stores in my area. I also want to add in some additional information about the tank. About a week before my white and red goldfish died I had put in another goldfish. This goldfish had been quarantined for two weeks and was acting fine with no issues. However, within a day of him being put into the main tank, he started to slow down and stop eating. Within three days he was dead. His quarantine tank had the same water and food that my main tank had. I want to know why my goldfish keep dying. :(

Also, the goldfish that was slowing down yesterday seems to be acting normal now.

Are you really shaking and banging those nitrate bottles on a hard surface before testing? A zero result is common when the reagents are not properly mixed and a zero nitrate result in a goldfish tank is highly unusual unless you are doing 100% wcs daily. The only other thing that would show a zero nitrate result would be that the tank is not properly cycled which may be the case as there is ammonia present.

The fact that you purchased goldfish from four different stores in your area does not mean much. Almost all stores in a region will purchase fish from the same wholesale supplier which means they all could be potentially afflicted with the same issue. This applies more strongly to chain stores as some small mom and pop type places tend to purchase fish from a variety of sources rather than a single wholesaler.

How long have you had the goldfish that still remain? How many and what size tank?

My suggestion would be to treat them in the tank they are in as a quarantine and avoid purchasing any new goldfish for atleast 2-3 months until you are positive these guys are 100% healthy. Start by working on water quality first. Water changes every other day to daily until ammonia and nitrite steadily read zero. Once they do, I suggest a course of MediGold for everyone. Continue with lots of wcs. Then follow this with a cycle of praziquantel (Prazipro is the easiest to use). If everyone comes through this healthy and happy, then hopefully this will be the end of the issues. If there is room to add an additional goldfish, you can start quarantining a new fish at this time. The new fish will need to go through the same course of MediGold followed by prazi before being added along with a hefty water change schedule (qt will be atleast 6wks). I normally would only recommend prazi in qt as I feel antibiotics are misused too often but it sounds like the fish supply in your area may have some other issues going on. Please ask any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom