Sick/Dying Long-Finne Rosy Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 rosy barbs, and one of them seems to be struggling with swimming. Her fins seem a bit whitish and the tips but its hard to see. When I get home, I'll attempt to post pictures. Should I put her in my isolator? I have a fish in already (he's an angelfish with several scratch marks from being caught in a tight spot with his dumbess), but I am able to put in a divider to keep them away from each other. Also, how do you get ammonia down? I've been having issues getting it down. It's at max with my water testing, which is 8.0ppm, which I know is extremely bad. Everything is else is decent.
pH: 6.5-6.7ish (it came out in between)
Nitrate N03- and N02- both are 0.0ppm
Ammonia: 8.0ppm
I used to have plecos, but I donated them. I have 4 rosy barbs, 2 angelfish, 3 male guppies, and a 8 inch ghost knife. 55 gallon tank. Please answer quickly, I got these barbs not too long ago.

I just got home to find Rose underneath my fake Bonsai tree barely alive. I rushed to put her in my isolator, and she's just on her side, breathing. It seems normal/slightly rapid. But she shows no sign of life other than that. My other 3 barbs are perfectly healthy

Do lots of water changes and ASAP. Like as soon as you read this. Dont forget dechlorinator.

Unfortunately, Rose died. I am still looking for ways to keep the ammonia down. What else could I do? 50% water change, got that, actually, I've been needing to record it for a video class, so no problem with doing a water change.

Well you need to cycle your tank. There a numorus articles on how to do this. To put it simply you do lots of water changes along with testing until both your ammonia and nitrites are zero and your nitrates start to rise.

For now keep up with daily testing and water changes to keep your ammonia down. You should have 0ppms. Any level of ammonia is deadly and very harmfull to your fish.

Thank you. Ill try and schedule a water change schedule and battle the ammonia.

With my fish tanks I do one water change a week but my tanks are both cycled. Until your tank is cycled your water changes will need to be much more frequent. As I said test daily and do them as needed. A good way to help a tank cycle quickly is to get filter media from a already cycled tank. A lfs(local fish store) might be able to help you out if you ask them. Sometimes even some gravel from a cycled tank can help. The cycling process can be very hard on your fish so if your going to do a fish in cycle make sure to stay on top of your water changes otherwise it can damage your fish and end up shortening their life span.

With my fish tanks I do one water change a week but my tanks are both cycled. Until your tank is cycled your water changes will need to be much more frequent. As I said test daily and do them as needed. A good way to help a tank cycle quickly is to get filter media from a already cycled tank. A lfs(local fish store) might be able to help you out if you ask them. Sometimes even some gravel from a cycled tank can help. The cycling process can be very hard on your fish so if your going to do a fish in cycle make sure to stay on top of your water changes otherwise it can damage your fish and end up shortening their life span.

Okay, thanks, I'll ask the LFS owner about cycling. That would be a good idea... The angelfish and barbs are my newest additions as of 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom