Sick Elephant nose and Siamese Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning I saw that my elephant nose has white patches on him. Is this fungus how do I treat it? I have Malachite Green, salt, and a Quarantine tank. I also noticed my siamese algae eaters had white outlines on his fins. What is this how do i treat it? I'll go to the store and buy anything, just please tell me what to do.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20

They are in a heavily planted tank. There are air stones.
55 Gallon - 2 angelfish, 7 bleeding heart tetras, 4 siamese algae eaters, 10 cardinal tetras, and an elephant nose.

Is there any way to treat the whole tank which won't harm plants or kill beneficial bacteria?

The photos are right here -

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/1873/9ANpYC.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/4267/KgH5CY.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/1216/hg0hWb.jpg

Kinda blurry but I would think its columnaris or a fungus from the white patches.

Caleb

How do i treat it? What Meds?
Sorry for the picture. The siamese algae eaters are fast and the elephant nose always hides.

I would start with a water change. 50% or more.

Furan-2 and Kanaplex is what I am using to treat columnaris in my tank at the moment and I am seeing improvements.

Plant safe? I am not sure mine are in a quarantine tank.

Caleb

I did a 25% water change yesterday and a 10% water change today. Won't doing another water change shock the fish? And will it help by turning the heater up?

Yes turning up heat will help. There is no such thing as water changes under 50% stressing fish. Sure they may run a little bit but changing water is essential in a tank. Keeping those nitrates under 20ppm is key.

I believe it will work but don't take my word on that. I'm not a disease expert by any means. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Caleb

Check out links to see if it is columnaris.
If it is DO NOT turn up temp.
columanris loves clean warm water!
if you treat for columnaris keep the temp under 75.
Caleb has his tempature up because he is treating discus which easily prefer warmer water then is recommended in columanris treatment.
Several members chimed in on his treatment plan.
First you need to ID issue then work out a treatment plan.
The meds Caleb mentioned are the meds of choice and most effective for columnaris treatment.
The MG will not work if it is columnaris and may cause trouble for the elephant nose(a scaleless fish) so I would not add that to the tank without good cause(ich).

Check out links to see if it is columnaris.
If it is DO NOT turn up temp.
columanris loves clean warm water!
if you treat for columnaris keep the temp under 75.
Caleb has his tempature up because he is treating discus which easily prefer warmer water then is recommended in columanris treatment.
Several members chimed in on his treatment plan.
First you need to ID issue then work out a treatment plan.
The meds Caleb mentioned are the meds of choice and most effective for columnaris treatment.
The MG will not work if it is columnaris and may cause trouble for the elephant nose(a scaleless fish) so I would not add that to the tank without good cause(ich).

My mistake thank you for the correction bandit. Guess mine is a special case for the fish I have :)

Caleb

I believe the antibiotics are safe to plants and BB but not 100% on that.
IMO this is a disease to be treated in the display tank as it is in the water column also not just on or in the fish.

Back
Top Bottom