Sick female GBR??? Help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a female GBR in my 55 gallon tank that is under a year old and I have had her since the end of July. I have 8 total GBR's in my 55 gallon tank. She is/was the mate of the alpha male GBR in the tank. So now, here is the story...

I came home from work late last week (Saturday night) to make sure all of my fish have survived my 2 day absence, and I found her by herself (sleeping) in the corner of the tank where I had placed a piece of driftwood vertically to create a sort of hiding spot. I see that all of the fish are there so I go to bed thinking that nothing is wrong. I wake up in the morning and throughout the day she is staying in that hiding spot. I don't know what is wrong. Whenever I get close to the tank she swims (barely) to a new hiding spot. I know that something is wrong but I have absolutely no clue as to what it is. She swims very perculiar in that she folds her pelvic fins up to her belly and wants to stay very close to the sand. She swims at a slight, yet noticable angle with her head being the highpoint. This may sound stupid but I think she may be depressed/scared/feeling timid. The reason that I think this is that the alpha male of the tank, who is also her mate seems to be hanging around the smallest female in the tank (who lost her mate in December and I tried to get her a new one but that doesn't seem to have worked out). The smaller female shows aggression towards the former alpha female but the male leaves her alone. I was thinking that the alpha male formed a new bond and rejected her and that is why she is sick. She seems to have little of an appetite and this behavior has continued for a week. I was thinking that maybe she was sick and the male rejected her because of that but I am not even sure that he DID reject her.I don't know what to do. I was thinking parasite but I haven't introduced anything new to the tank which has been up for a great deal of time and no other fish appear sick. They all act normal and all of them, except the sick female, go to their normal spots when it is feeding time. She doesn't seem interested. She looks a little thin but not really sickly thin. I believe that she laid eggs last week when I was gone but she hasn't plumped up with eggs like she normally has.... any suggestions are very much appreciated.

I have an extra 10 gallon tank that is up and running and is uninhabited. I am thinking of moving her into the tank tomorrow and I was thinking of moving the alpha male in there with her. Good or bad idea? Also, what can I do to treat for parasites, or anything that MAY be causing her to be a little on the thin side? I would really like to see my little girl be her normal self again so please help me figure out what is wrong. Sorry for the LONG and most likely scattered post. If I can provide anything further to help solve this problem please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom