sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvllflower

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi
I decided to write here since I couldn't really find answer to my questions online
so I have betta and I had four neon tetras. after I changed their water the next day I realized tetras had a lot of white spots. few days before I changed water one of my tetras died and disappeared from tank so I thought snail ate it again cause it happened before. so I had three tetras and betta. i decided to put medicine in their tank but tetras were more sick than betta so I put betta in seperate tank and put medicine in there. all of my tetras died so I bleached tank where they were but betta is still in separate tank and he gets medicine everyday. but he sits on the bottom a lot or on his plant. sometimes his head is in the plant and tail is above so he is like upside down. and he just sits in plant like this for hours. also sometimes he swims and then suddenly stops moving it looks like he freezes for a few seconds and then starts moving again. also yesterday he wouldnt touch his food. he swam into it but didn't eat at all. does someone know why he does it?

Have you tryed aquarium salt? When all my fish had ick really bad a lot of them died I used aquarium salt. Read the box it tells you how to mix it for sick fish.

I used to have another betta and I tried salt with him and it didnt help it looked like it made him worse so I don't use it. and I think it's ich. my betta had some spots on tail but they are gone now but he's still acting weird

Salt is tricky to some people. You gotta dissolve it in a bowl of tank water and vacuum the bottom of the tank with water changes almost daily. It won't kill ich. But doing every step will. I use aquarium salt for a lot of things for my betta's. If you think the meds are working do another treatment of that. Keep an eye on you betta. If spots start to show back up,then it's most likely ich. Right now with it gone I'd do a water change vacuum the bottom.Turn the heat up to 88-90° slowly. And keep the tank dark. Life cycle for ich repeats and multiplies. Research "ich life cycle."

on bottle with medicine it says not to change water until the fish is healthy so I don't know what to do. he didn't have heater in because tank is smaller and water was warm but I put it now for a while and my fish is sitting very close to it like head is touching this heater so I don't know what it means.. he's not moving at all just sitting near heater

also my heater turns off itself when it heats water up to around 25°C so I can't make it warmer

he's just sitting around heater either on the left side or right side

Attachments

• 20180509_135621.jpg
    20180509_135621.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 46
I changed around 20% of water and fish swims a little more but still won't eat

Looks constipated. The belly is pretty big. Have you tried a pea. Try soaking it in some garlic juice and then skinning it give him the soft inside of the pea. Squash it when you put it in the tank.make sure its small pieces for him. I wouldn't feed him too much. But he needs to poop.

he usually eats a lot he would sometimes take away tetras food and then look for more at the bottom of tank but when I gave him less food his stomach wasn't so big. i can try pea though

I toook better picture

Attachments

• 20180509_150103.jpg
    20180509_150103.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 43
He don't look that bloated in the new pic. Is that a loss of color? And is the tail normally like that or longer?

I think he lost some color. usually when he feels okay it's really hard to take a picture of him so I found one that I took a while ago and that's how he usually looks

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 41
Aww, that's a pretty big difference. Have you looked into TB? You said there was a neon that died in the tank. This could be the start of it.

I don't know.. tetra died and then after I changed water all tetras had white spots and betta had some spots on his tail and he was hiding in his rock, Piece of wood or was just laying on gravel. he lost color and he doesn't flare as much as he used to and he doesnt move sometimes just stays in one place but he doesn't seem to have more symptoms..

Could just be stress from having ich in the gills. I'd do aquarium salt myself. It helps with breathing.

could I mix aquarium salt with medicine for ich though? and would airstone help

Back
Top Bottom