Sick fish/ Dirty Tanks @ LFS?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went in to a chain LFS tonight and took a peek at the fish... I was astonished! Can anyone tell me what the fuzzy balls growing all over the tank gravel is? Why is that gravel such a green?
Horrible!!! There were multiple dead fish in multiple tanks, dying fish in the same tanks, multiples stuck to the filter, etc!
Why am I seeing a lot of these chain stores aquatic section similar to PUPPY MILLS? These poor fish suffered a poor slow death...
Curious whats going on in these pics... Can you guys help me out?

View attachment 68786

View attachment 68787

View attachment 68788

Looks like some kind of alge. Probably because they leave the lights on for ever. If you live in michigan there is a holy grail of a store in lansing called pruess pets.it's well worth the drive. They have more fish and creepy crawlies then I have ever seen. They out due some zoos I've seen. They also hold there fish for two weeks before they sell them just to make sure there healthy .

Josh1158 said:
Looks like some kind of alge. Probably because they leave the lights on for ever. If you live in michigan there is a holy grail of a store in lansing called pruess pets.it's well worth the drive. They have more fish and creepy crawlies then I have ever seen. They out due some zoos I've seen. They also hold there fish for two weeks before they sell them just to make sure there healthy .

This is a Petsmart in CA...
I've never been to this one before. I was on my way home from a client and popped in.
A few other Petsmarts are closer to me but hesitant to get fish there. I've had a 50/50 shot with them. Got Camallanus from Petsmart and other various things... Yet have had a few with no problems also.... Hit and miss.

Josh1158 said:

I leave my lights on from when I wake up till I go to bed... 8am-- midnight/1am... 15 hrs a day and I haven't had clumps of anything... Yuck!

fuzzy balls

THANK YOU for posting this question.
It MIGHT just help my with my problem of WHITE fuzzy globs on and in gravel. They look like small wet suspended cotton balls in the water, and when fished out, a light brown slimy clump.
It started not too long ago, after I had bought fish and plants from . . . . . . Petsmart. Never had this stuff in my tanks before.
Now all I have to do is go there and ask for a solution which they probably not have. Perhaps this is my Bingo. See my question under "help", in the general area.
Haen

haen said:
THANK YOU for posting this question.
It MIGHT just help my with my problem of WHITE fuzzy globs on and in gravel. They look like small wet suspended cotton balls in the water, and when fished out, a light brown slimy clump.
It started not too long ago, after I had bought fish and plants from . . . . . . Petsmart. Never had this stuff in my tanks before.
Now all I have to do is go there and ask for a solution which they probably not have. Perhaps this is my Bingo. See my question under "help", in the general area.
Haen

Eww... Hope someone has good solution!

Back
Top Bottom