Sick fish.....HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilikepie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so this is a long story, I started a 10gal around june and since then every fish I have put in it has died. First i cycled the tank by running the filter on an established tanl for about a month.I Started off with one male guppy and he imediately got sick and died, then i added 4 female guppiea over a month and they all died, then i added two females and a malethe females died but the male survived. After that I got discouraged and left the male and he is still alive(not for long :( ) but then i had to put 2 baby angels in the 10 gal amd they thrived and grew to twice the size so i had to mave them to a bigger tank sooner than i had wantex so after they aurvived i added two female guppies and after about a week the femalea and the male are in a pile in the corner dying (idk if the male is, i think he ias trying to mate with the females still lol) so what could be wrong, im thinling amonia poisoning but idk how to fix it. I have an air pump in the tank and a thermo set at 74 and a bare minimum filter. Sorry foe the jumbled thoufhts and bad spelling this is on my phone btw i have a 50, 55, and a 25 so im not new to having fish. Could it just be that guppies arent hardy and idk my water #s but i got it tested at lfs and they said it was fine

ilikepie said:
Ok, so this is a long story, I started a 10gal around june and since then every fish I have put in it has died. First i cycled the tank by running the filter on an established tanl for about a month.I Started off with one male guppy and he imediately got sick and died, then i added 4 female guppiea over a month and they all died, then i added two females and a malethe females died but the male survived. After that I got discouraged and left the male and he is still alive(not for long :( ) but then i had to put 2 baby angels in the 10 gal amd they thrived and grew to twice the size so i had to mave them to a bigger tank sooner than i had wantex so after they aurvived i added two female guppies and after about a week the femalea and the male are in a pile in the corner dying (idk if the male is, i think he ias trying to mate with the females still lol) so what could be wrong, im thinling amonia poisoning but idk how to fix it. I have an air pump in the tank and a thermo set at 74 and a bare minimum filter. Sorry foe the jumbled thoufhts and bad spelling this is on my phone btw i have a 50, 55, and a 25 so im not new to having fish. Could it just be that guppies arent hardy and idk my water #s but i got it tested at lfs and they said it was fine

If its ammonia poisoning...water changes would be in order and something must have happened to your cycle I would guess. Do you have a test kit? What are your numbers?

I dont know if i have a water test kit anymore; but if it is amonia why didnt the baby angels die and i have done 2 20% changes in 3 days

You need to find out exact readings for your water whether your LFS actually give you numbers or you get a test kit, as you need to find the problem in order to solve it

ilikepie said:
I dont know if i have a water test kit anymore; but if it is amonia why didnt the baby angels die and i have done 2 20% changes in 3 days

I would suggest as others have to get your own liquid test kit or if you go to the LFS ask them to use a liquid test & write down your #'s. what is your normal water change schedule & how much water do you change? On my 2 10g tanks I do weekly 50%+ changes with 1 Male Betta in each tank.

Yeah but for the $ i could buy a pretty good filter for the 10 gal, are guppies really the easiest fish to breed? I only wanted to breed them so i had feeders for my green severum. I think these guys are already goners anyway, but if it was amonia would they be in a pile on the bottom of the tank? The male looks perfectly healthy now why are my females only sick?

They are no longer on the bottom of the tank, are they getting better?

Was this a new tank or one that you bought off someone. If it's used it could be they put the wrong type of sealant in the tank. Anything you put in there may die. It can be toxic. If so, remove old sealant and re seal with aquarium sealant. Good luck

It was like one of those starter kit tanks that i bought forever ago so i dobt think its toxic, but it could be

You should be ok then. But when you buy used tanks people use anything to fix leaks just to sell their old tank. But if you bought it new and know one had ever resealed the tank then your good to go there. Good luck.

Yes, that happened to me over 20 years ago. That's sad, I had to cut off all old seal and buy the aquarium sealer. But it don't leak now and have not lost any fish. Same tank 20 years later.

There is no need for aquarium sealant... Just go buy some silicone that doesn't have mildew resistant in it. A lot of silicone will actually say aquarium safe. It's a much better deal and is easier to work with. I've only bought one thing of aquarium sealant and nvever again. I use my silicone for everything! Holding rock sculptures together making breeding sites and yes reselling a bunch of tanks... Just read the tube first.... Some hardware stores will even know which one you can use...

Back
Top Bottom