Sick fish!!! Help!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cb172635

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey everyone, i have zebra 8 zebra danios in a 20 gallon community tank and they seem to have red and inflamed gills and they are also swiftly swimming up against the rocks scraping their sides on them and getting alot more aggressive within the school.. i wanted to see what was wrong with them how do i fix it and will it spread to my other non danio fish in the tank?
a promt response is appreciated dont want to loose any of these fish i finally have the tank set up how i want it.

How long has the tank been up? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)? What else is in the tank?

How long has the tank been up? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)? What else is in the tank?

all water parameters are within safe and non stressful range. i do frequent water changes... not to much tho... and the tank has been up for about a month and a half and is completely cycled.. now my blue ram is doing the same thing?!?! what is this and how do i stop it?!?!

Please tell us your exact parameters. Anything over 0 ammonia and nitrite is dangerous and signals your tank is not done cycling. Are you using dechlorinator when doing water changes? What is in the tank besides the 8 danios and a ram? FYI, a six-week old tank is pretty young--are you sure it is completely cycled? It is possible they have a parasite but way more likely a water issue. When did they all start doing this?

You should do a large water change 50% with conditioned water before you try medicating. Please let us know what your exact readings are and what you use to test with.

Please tell us your exact parameters. Anything over 0 ammonia and nitrite is dangerous and signals your tank is not done cycling. Are you using dechlorinator when doing water changes? What is in the tank besides the 8 danios and a ram? FYI, a six-week old tank is pretty young--are you sure it is completely cycled? It is possible they have a parasite but way more likely a water issue. When did they all start doing this?

You should do a large water change 50% with conditioned water before you try medicating. Please let us know what your exact readings are and what you use to test with.

if it was the parasite what would it be called and how would i treat it.. im going to my lfs tomorrow to have my water tested and ill get back to you with up to date water info.. nkw if it was the water what attribute of the water that would be bad would cause this (ammonia, ph etc.)

Get exact measurements of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. While you're there pick up a liquid test kit. You really need to have this in order to fish-in cycle your tank. If you haven't already done a huge water change, do it now and every day until you are sure the tank is cycled. Your danios may survive, but I wouldn't be very optimistic about the ram if you have an uncycled tank. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom